Control which fields are exported to BibTeX

This discussion was created from comments split from: Export BibTeX - webpage specific fields/information missing...
  • This is a very old conversation, and perhaps has been superseded, but nothing else seemingly relevant turned up in my search, so here I am.

@noksagt the zotero-dev conversation seems to be talking about translators (ie: adding items to our zotero DB) rather than exporting items to a bib file.

I would REALLY like to be able to control which fields are exported to bibtex and to be able to even change their names if need be. In my case, the accessedDate field is present in zotero, but isn't exported to the bib file, so I'm dead in the water... otherwise @misc is working fine as far as I can see.

We are often constrained by conference style guides, and they look poorly on editing the bib style, so adapting the bibtex to work with the style they provide is a preferred approach.
  • edited February 6, 2023
    (Please just start new threads for new issues — resuscitating a thread last updated over a decade ago is almost never helpful. I've moved this to a new thread.)

If you think there's a bug in the stock BibTeX export, you should report that, and say the exact behavior you expect.

Otherwise, for advanced BibTeX workflows, see the Better BibTeX plugin. The stock BibTeX import/export is intended for generic data exchange.