PDF Annotation: Inking

124»
  • +1 for Linux inking support. Currently using Zotero + Xournal++ which works but means all of my annotations are stored separately.
  • +1 for inking on windows. So many people in academia use MS Surfaces.
  • +1 for inking on Android, from a boox max ereader user
  • +1 for inking on windows! Would happily pay for this feature
  • +1 for inking on windows (surface etc). Recently made the switch to zotero 6 and the inbuilt pdf reader is so good. This could be the cherry on top with possibility to switch it on and off if the ink goes over the text of the document for readability.
  • +1 for inking on windows. Would like to pay for this feature as well!
  • +1 please make this feature!!!
  • +1 I use both an ipad and my laptop to read PDFs and being able to see my inked notes on my computer would be a game changer!
  • +1 for Windows! It's a breakthrough for surface users!
  • @cryditi: You already can see ink annotations you make in the iOS app in the built-in PDF reader in the desktop app.
  • Yes, I have used a surface for years and I'm really missing the inking that is available on the iPad.
  • +1 For inking on the desktop app (Linux), definitely the most wanted feature for me right now.
  • +1

I'm on linux and inking is the only thing which holds me back.

@refmitchell:
    how exactly do you fuse xournal with zotero?
  • @kirgilh96

Badly. I wouldn't say they're fused.

I set Xournal++ as my default PDF reader then tell Zotero to use the system default. Opening the PDF from Zotero should now open it in Xournal++. I annotate the file then save the .xopp (annotation) file in the same directory as the original PDF. (I had originally hoped that doing this would make Zotero sync the annotations automatically but this isn't the case.)

This works well if you:

1. Don't need to share annotations across devices, and
    2. Can figure out a way to back up the annotations because Zotero doesn't sync everything in the PDF directory.

You can also annotate then overwrite the original PDF to ensure your annotations are synced. For (2) a local backup drive would work; close Zotero and back up the underlying directory structure once a week, or month or however often.
    -
    An alternative is to use MS Edge as your PDF reader. This way the ink annotations are stored as part of the PDF file and can actually be viewed in other PDF readers. For example, I could use Edge on Linux and Xodo on Android and the annotations would persist. Unfortunately this made the files huge.
    -
    I've since started using the built-in PDF reader in Zotero as I was getting more and more stressed about losing my annotations (I actually did have a data loss incident and lost a tonne of work). Now I just wish I could see these annotations in Android but there's only so many things the dev team can do at once.
  • +1
    Would be very helpful to keep track of annotated documents
  • +1 surface pro users definitely would need this feature
  • In the latest Zotero 7 beta, we've added support for creating ink annotations in the desktop app.
  • Great work! Though writing via annotation is not available, directly adding text works well, and seems to be more handy to use on desktop.