High battery usage on iOS

I am finding that the (excellent) Zotero iOS app is using up a lot of battery while reading PDFs - in the region of 1% a minute on my iPad Air 4. This seems too high to me.
  • I noticed similar issues, draining the battery very fast.
  • @johnkingeu, @adamlundberg: Can you provide a Debug ID for a few minutes during which you see what you consider excessive battery drain, along with a description of what you were doing?
  • @dstillman: I’ve been using Zotero on my 2021 12.9” iPad Pro (M1) and noticed very high battery drain and heat while reading some papers.

Overall, I went from about 50% to 30% charge over 1-1.5 hours of reading and highlighting. The drain rate and heat seemed to be more intense when I was doing a lot of highlighting/annotating.

I turned debug logging for ~10-15 minutes in which the battery dropped 9%. Debug ID is D204291134. I was strictly reading a single article and highlighting some sections.

I also have not used Zotero for iPad in a few months and am connected to a few group libraries that are frequently updated by a few colleagues, but my Zotero is set to only download articles as needed, so I am not sure if it could be syncing related somehow?
  • Is anybody working on that issue? I really like the app, however, it takes 60-70% of the battery of my new iPad Air in just an hour. This makes it actually unusable.
  • @tobiwe are you on the most recent version of app on App Store? Can you provide Debug ID for a few minutes when you see excessive battery drain? Can you also describe what you were doing? Thanks!
  • D547345128. Battery dropped by 9% in ~15 minutes while I was doing practically nothing. Just having the app open and scrolling through a pdf from time to time.
  • @tobiwe: Thanks. We've pushed a new Zotero for iOS beta that should fix some excessive syncing while viewing certain PDFs. If you're willing to help test, install that beta and let us know if that improves things.
  • Version 1.0.9, available now, should reduce battery usage when reading PDFs. If you've been seeing this, please update to that version and let us know if it improves things for you.
  • Thank you very much and sorry for not responding earlier. Will check the new version now!