web of science

Hello

I'm trying out zotero for the first time today, and it looks like the greatest thing since sliced bread. However, I use Web of Science a lot, and I can't seem to save records from it. The save box appears, but it has no text, and then it disappears. 'Report errors' does not become active.

derxen
  • Okay, it works now. I have no idea why it didn't at first.

derxen
  • Hi, there,

I've been testing Zotero with Web of Science, and the compatibility is very spotty at times... After asking Zotero to download 10 records, you may get 0, 3, 10... It's a surprise every time. It appears that the records are downloading, and no error message appears, but the records may or may not show up in your library. Another of my colleagues has also seen this problem frequently, so I'm wondering if there are any workarounds or plans to improve this functionality?

I see that Web of Science is in the "partially supported" category... I'd LOVE to see it fall in the fully supported section!

Many thanks!!
    remlee
  • Right now, it's working fine for me. Could you possibly give me any more details about the circumstances of the error?
  • I'm also having trouble using zotero with web of science. It will import one record fine, but will not do a second one without closing firefox and reopening it.
  • I am having similar problems. It is necessary to log out of web of science and then log in again after each saved record. Hopefully this bug will be noticed, as web of science is the most highly used database (in my case the only one) in the sciences and Zotero could really be a revelation to the scientific community.
  • Forgot to mention: using Mac OSX 10.4.10, Firefox 2.0.0.6. If one attempts to capture a second record on a given WOS session, the red outlined box appears at the bottom right of screen, but never fills with the text representing the record. Then the record does not appear in the Zotero Library. Log out of WOS and log in again and import the same record and it works fine.
  • I experience the exact same thing as beck1 and sixtyorange - both Web of Science and BIOSIS. I've gotten used to hitting the back button and hitting connect again after each download and then skipping ahead to the same page of results I was on - I'm used to it now but it can get old and is a big waste of time.

(I must add some encouraging comments to the creator people because for the most part I am quite happy with zotero -- thanks!)
  • Thanks for the help regarding importing reference with wos, it seems to be quite reliable now. However, how do you get around the problem of capitalized journal name in Web of Science?
  • Rt-click on the field & select the appropriate text transform.
  • Hello,

I am having the same problems as described above. Can't get a scrape from WOS to work. However, I didn't see how this problem was resolved within the preceding discussion. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I overcome this? I am trying to pull 5 different references. Thanks.
  • I am having the same problems as described above. Can't get a scrape from WOS to work. However, I didn't see how this problem was resolved within the preceding discussion. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I overcome this?
    Upgrade to the latest version of Zotero, 1.0.0rc4, available from the home page.
  • I have just upgraded to 1.0.0rc5 and tried to grab some references from ISI web of science. It seems like a problem I was having before has been fixed (wasn't able to grab more than once without rebooting firefox) but...

The issue: When I select multiple references I do get them all, but the "ISI web of science snapshot" is incorrect. Sometimes it is for one of the references I downloaded, but usually it is something else entireley - note that it is the same for all of the downloaded references.

PS: I absolutely looooove this tool! Awesome work! Sooo happy to say goodbye to EndNote!

Ubuntu FF/Windows XP, Firefox, Z 1.0.0.rc5
  • UPDATE: After grabbing 2 more references I am no longer able to grab any more. The icon shows up in the URL, I click on it and the little popup window pops up down in the Zotero pane but is blank, stays blank, and disappears without adding my reference :(
  • Sorry to come back with this, but I have Z 1.0.0.rc5 and I still have the same problems in WoS. Perhaps some of these issues may be related:
    1) I access through a University license, which requires that I use a VPN to hook into the Uni network;
    2) The references I am trying to download were reached by following the
    number of times cited link for an initial reference for which I searched;
    3) It looked it was going to allow me to scrape the references I wanted initially, but Zotero only offered the "parent" reference for scraping.

Managed to get what I need off of Google Scholar no worries, but just thought I would bring this to your attention. Fantastic product you are developing, and I no longer even bother to use RefWorks, even though I have an account for it.

Thanks!
  • edited November 9, 2007
    Another update: 1.0.0 rc5
    1) i can only get the correct snapshot if I scrape the reference from its abstract page.
    2) when importing a library from another computer (Zotero RDF format) I lose the Publication, volume, and issue information
    love it, need it, finishing my thesis with it...
  • To stop Zotero only downloading one reference from web of science, go into preferences and turn off auto take a snap shot of web page. Things seem to go much better then.
  • Using OS X 10.4.11, Firefox 2.0.0.9 and Zotero 1.0.1:

Still having the same problem mentioned by sixtyorange above:

"If one attempts to capture a second record on a given WOS session, the red outlined box appears at the bottom right of screen, but never fills with the text representing the record. Then the record does not appear in the Zotero Library."

A work-around for a second capture: in Full Record View, hit the reload button, which takes you back to Select a Search option, then hit the back button, which takes you back to the Search Results Summary, then go back into the Full Record View and hit the capture icon. You can capture multiple records this way, without logging in and out, but it's still a pain.

Turning off the auto snapshot doesn't seem to fix this problem.

Another thread raised this issue some months ago. Any chance of a bugfix?!

We get the same problem with other databases and library catalogues that use frames.
  • I used to be able to use Web of Science and BIOSIS (albeit w/ some probs) but now the icon to download the page isn't even displayed when viewing articles in these databases. These two are best options for finding literature for Biologists -- please fix!
  • Bump. same issue here.