Feature request: Smoother zooming in PDF viewer

I really like what has been achieved with the latest update. However, the zooming in and out is a bit staggered. Also pinch to zoom on my trackpad isn't working miracles. If it would be possible to fix this, this would be great.
  • I agree with the request, but I suspect that it is not trivial to implement, as it seems to be a general problem with PDF.js, also affecting the built-in PDF viewer in Firefox. Those folks seem to have been aware of this for a while, but haven't yet fixed it either: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1659492.
  • Aw I forgot about it being PDF.js. Yeah, that makes sense. Is PDF.js particularly easy and lightweight to implement? (just curious for the rationale)
  • edited May 4, 2022
    Also auotmatic 2-page view or multi page view would be nice to scroll through documents.
  • @coelen Those already exist. You can enable 2-page view by choosing "Even Spreads" or "Odd Spreads" from within the View menu bar section. Multi page view can be enabled by choosing "Wrapped Scrolling" from the View menu and then zooming out.

Regarding the rationale for PDF.js, I would speculate that it has to do with PDF.js being open-source and with Zotero being based on Mozilla Firefox, which PDF.js is mainly developed for.
  • edited May 4, 2022
    On 2 page: Sorry, I meant that I want those by default. Now I have to set that view for each pdf I open. As for wrapped scrolling. Can I change the default setting?

Edit: Aaaw I found wrapped scrolling now. Awesome!!!

• I would also like to see this.
  • Btw, it looks like this might get fixed in pdf.js, as it was recently assigned and prioritised to "P1": https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1659492
  • That's awesome! Thanks for notifying me. I didn't expect to use Zotero PDF so much, but it's really great to pick-up where you left reading last time. I can deal without it, would be great if they implement this.
    Also rotating a single page would be nice, not sure if that's for Zotero or for pdf.js.
  • You can rotate a single page; there should be options for that in the "Edit" menu bar section as well as in the context menu when clicking on the miniature preview of a page in the left sidebar.

I fully agree with this: "I didn't expect to use Zotero PDF so much, but it's really great to pick-up where you left reading last time"
  • The bugzilla shows they fixed it. I hope it will be implemented in Zotero soon.
  • edited May 20, 2023
    Wondering if there were any updates or plans for this?

On Mac in particular, zoom is very staggered. Particularly in comparison with other apps such as macOS default Preview, where zooming in/out with trackpad is soo nice.
  • Any updates on this? Anyone knows if Zooming on Mac is improved in Zotero 7?
  • Zoom is definitely improved in Zotero 7 beta.