MS Word Plugin document update problem

• Dear Simon,

I've just installed the trunk WinWord plug-in, and it seems to have fixed the issue:) Thanks a lot for your work!!!
    When you wrote "You'll have to manually install the next WinWord plug-in when it's released", did you mean that next time the official release appears, I should skip the automatic installation through Firefox? Or just that I'll have to install it the usual way as soon as it's released?
    Cheers and thanks again!
  • dudukk, and any others running the trunk WinWord plug-in, when the next release occurs, you won't be prompted to install it. To avoid being stuck with the trunk forever, you'll need to install the next release (which will include the fixes on the trunk) from the install page. When the next release is available, I'll post a message here.

Heinrich Mallison and adenijik, you two both seem to be having the same issue, which we still can't reproduce. Can either of you try installing the trunk WinWord plug-in too? It's unlikely to fix your issue, but it will give us a more useful error report, which might help us track it down.
  • Hi Simon,
    thanks for the quick reply - you are right it didn't work error report

Cheers
    K
  • edited September 22, 2009
    Hi,
    I guess I have the same problem here. Where can I find the trunk version r5176? When I follow the link I can only download r5161 and that's not helping...

Thanks!
  • cmaenz, the latest WinWord trunk is version r5161. In case your issue isn't the same as adenijik's, can you post a report ID with r5161 here?
  • Also, adenijik, what version of Windows are you running?
  • Nevermind. I think (correct me if wrong) that adenijik and Heinrich were both running Windows 2000. If this was the issue, it should be corrected in the new trunk plug-in (r5195). Let us know.
  • Hi Simon,
    Running 2 machines XP Pro, 2000 pro
    K
  • Are you having issues on the XP machine too? Does the trunk fix the issue on the 2000 machine?
  • Hi,
    Sorry,here's my error report number: 1232997185
    I am using Windows Vista with Office 2007 and tried what was suggested above but still get the error message.
    Does the new version of the integration automatically delete the older version or do I need to delete that first?
    (I tried to delete the Word Add-In first, then installed the new one, but maybe I didn't do that right...?)
    Thanks.
  • cmaenz, try Zotero 2.0b7.2 (just released). You can update now by going to Tools->Extensions and clicking "Find Updates." For any others currently on the trunk, we've just released Zotero WinWord Integration 3.0a2, so you can switch back to the released versions.
  • Everything works now! Great! Thank you!

Just one remark: When I tried to insert a citation after updating I got the following message:
    "The Zotero field code corresponding to this citation, which tells Zotero which item in your library this citation represents, has been corrupted. Would you like to reselect the item? Clicking “No” will delete the field codes for citations containing this item, preserving the citation text but potentially deleting it from your bibliography."

When I clicked cancel I got another error message (code: 687759619).
    I clicked "yes" and had to reselect a couple of citations (not all).
    Now it works and everthing is fine!
    So, thanks again!
  • Thanks Zotero team, the bug-fix for the Word plugin worked for me! The only thing that does not work properly is inserting a citation into a Table, but that at least I can fix manually.
  • Thanks for Zotero in the first place. Sorry to say that I still get the "Zotero experienced an error updating your document" message when trying to use any of the commands provided by the MS Word integration plugin, both on new and on existing documents. My configuration is
    - Windows Vista Build 6001
    - MS Word 2003
    - Firefox 3.5.3
    - Zotero 2.0b7.2
    - Zotero WinWord Integration 3.0a2
    Hope this helps, thanks in advance. I'm following this thread closely.
  • Thanks so much for Zotero. It is great.

Like everyone else, I am experiencing similar problems. I updated to Zotero2.0b7.2. When I went to insert a new citation, it said ""your document must be permanently upgraded in order to work with Zotero 2.b07 or later. It is recommended that you make a backup before proceeding. Are you sure you want to continue?". I clicked yes.

Now whenever I try to edit a citation or insert a new citation in certain portions of my document it gives me this error: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document. That property is not available on that object".

Here is my configuration info:
    - Windows XP
    - MS Word 2007
    - Firefox 3.5.3
    - Zotero 2.0b7.2
    - Zotero WinWord Integration 3.0a2

I can send the document if it would be helpful. Error report ID 20311754316.

I'll follow the thread. Thanks again!
  • ChristianK, can you provide a report ID?

mostrander, it would be helpful if you could send the document to support@zot...org
  • Yes of course, the report ID. Sorry I forgot. Still very new to this.
  • ChristianK, there doesn't seem to be a Zotero error in there. If you've restarted Firefox since you last got the error, you'll need to take the steps to trigger it again and then generate another report ID.
  • Simon,

sorry, I was away and w/o internet.
    I just installed the new beta and plugin, and all is well! THANKS!!!

incidently, it seems that a number of CLS problems (wrong sorting in intext multi-sitations) are also gone....
  • Thanks for looking into it; I reproduced the error with the same configuration and a blank document. Now there seems to be a Zotero-related section in it, the report number is 298851442.
  • Hi all,

I experience a similar problem with Word 2008 on Mac, Firefox 3.5.3, Word plugin 3.0a5, Zotero 2.0b7.2.
    Error report: 714293067

When I try to add a bibliography to a new document with just one citation, Zotero asks to 'convert file', giving me a range of different file formats. Choosing any results in the following error:

"
    Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

COMMAND: app(u'/Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft Word.app').active_document.fields[2].result_range.bookmarks[u'ZOTERO_TEMP_BOOKMARK'].delete()
    "

Then it does add the bibliography.
    If I try to change the Document Preferences, a similar error is produced, and the reference is simply added in the new style (leaving the old intact). Report number: 1296805486.

Thanks a lot,

Thomas
  • Thomas, go to Word->Preferences->General and uncheck the "Confirm Conversions" box. In the next release, we'll make things work properly even when this box is checked, but this is an easy temporary fix.
  • Great, Simon, thank you! It works smoothly now.
  • edited September 27, 2009
    Hi,

now I have tested the new Versions Windows plugin 3.0a2 and Zotero 2.0b7.2 in combination with Word 2007 and WinXP.

After this Update the problem has moved a bit but seems not to be fixed. Before I received the error message just when refreshing the citations. Now that is working. But still I can't insert a bibliography. During the insertion process i receive the message "Zotero experienced an error updating your document."

The error Report is: 290369779 and content is: [zoteroWinWordIntegration Exception... "Ein Problem wurde von Word festgestellt." code: "0" function: "zoteroWinWordField::SetText" location: ".\zoteroWinWordField.cpp"]

Any ideas? A can also provide the document. It includes 120 pages and around 150 citations.

Greets Christoph
  • zotomat, you can send the document to support@zot...org, but I'm not sure if it will help us track down your issue. What might be more useful is if you could send us the temporary file that presumably contains your bibliography. This file should be in the temporary directory, which you can find by going to Start->Run and typing "%Temp%" and then return. Send any files there with names starting with ZOT (or just a couple of the newest, if there are many of them) to support@zot...org. You might also want to see if you can open these files in Word.
  • Hi Simon,

I tried to open this tmp file and yes ... it causes problems. Only way to open it is "Open" and file type: "Recover Text from any file". My first Idea I had is a problem with German umlauts: ä,ö and ü could exists. If that is the case every German will have some problems.
    Additionally I did a comparison of the tmp file and the correction word did during opening. Maybe there is also a problem regarding the line breaks. But I think the umlaut problem is more relevant.

I will send you the latest tmp file with subject zotomat.

Thanks so far. I hope we can fix it. It's my phd thesis.

Greets zotomat
  • zotomat,

Thanks for the file. As it turns out, your error was caused by an unclosed bracket in a citation in your bibliography. This isn't supposed to produce an error, and this will be fixed in 2.0b7.3, but for now you can just edit the reference to remove the bracket (since it appears to be extraneous). I'll let you know via email which reference it was.
  • Simon,

you are good! Thank you very much. How did you find out this mistake?

Thanks and greets

Christoph
  • I'm having the same problem now, error id: 1478826560

zotero 2.0b7.3
    zotero winword integration 3.0a3
    my word is microsoft word 2003 sp3

Please help
  • This problem is fixed, I also dont know why/how.

I disable, enable my zotero win word integration a couple times , then it works.
This discussion has been closed.