Feature request [PDF viewer]: "zoom to page width" looks for widest page

I frequently use "zoom to page width" when reading PDFs so that I can use the left/right arrow keys to move forward and backward whole pages (vertical scrolling).

However, if the PDF has pages of different width, the zoom to page width seems to focus on the current page. If that page is the widest of the PDF, then the arrow keys will work for moving forward and backward pages. If not, then the arrow keys will move the page left and right and I will have to redo the zoom after finding the widest page in order for the left/right keys to scroll whole pages.

This is even more of an issue because when plugging into and out of an external monitor (on macOS 12.6 at least), the windows experience a resize and zoom to page width gets executed again. If I'm on a narrower page of the PDF, I can't scroll again and have to repeat the steps of finding the widest page and zooming to width.
  • You can use j/k instead for previous/next page
  • ah, ha, great, thanks!

a little less convenient given you can arrow up/down to continuously scroll up/down more finely without moving your hand.

but still, very useful!
  • However, if the PDF has pages of different width, the zoom to page width seems to focus on the current page. If that page is the widest of the PDF, then the arrow keys will work for moving forward and backward pages. If not, then the arrow keys will move the page left and right and I will have to redo the zoom after finding the widest page in order for the left/right keys to scroll whole pages.
    @jeremyvancleve: Automatic zoom (Cmd-0/Ctrl+0) might be what you're looking for.

BTW, you can find more keyboard shortcuts for the PDF reader here.
  • ah, great! auto resize seems to be doing exactly what I was looking for.

thanks for the help all!