Cursor highlight bug in PDF viewer on iPad

Cursor behaves unexpectedly when selecting text in a PDF on Zotero for iPad. Steps to reproduce:

1. Long tap on a word so it is selected (blue highlight with handles on either end).
2. Drag right handle to the right (or up and to right).
3 (expected): highlighted region extends on single same line to right as far as the handle is dragged.
3 (actual): highlighted region extends onto line below, so two lines are selected, as if handle was dragged downward by an additional line. No matter how high handle is dragged up, two lines are always selected.
4. If handle is dragged downward a few lines and then up again, problem stops and normal behavior resumes, i.e., its possible to highlight text on a single line again.

Running Zotero for iPad version 1.0.1 Build 1 on iPadOS 14.8.1 on iPad Pro 12.9 inch.
  • Update: Still having this problem on latest version of Zotero for iPad.
  • Are you seeing this in the current Zotero for iOS beta?
  • edited October 4, 2022
    Well, I see what you mean. Basically, if the line below is selected, you can't unselect it just by dragging up — you have to drag down further and then back up.

I can avoid it by dragging up and to the right initially, which keeps the following line from being selected at all, but certainly you should be able to deselect the second line more easily.

We'll see what we can do.
  • Not beta. Zotero 1.0.3 Build 5 on iPasOS 15.6.1.

Thanks.
  • @jessriedel we use third party framework to work with PDFs, so they will have to fix this issue. Until then you can easily select a single line by long pressing a word and then start dragging immediately. You don't have to let go and then drag by the handle. If you start dragging immediately the selection works fine.