Extracting annotations by a single color

This discussion was created from comments split from: "Extract Annotations" is not showing as an option?.
  • Hi, I understand this Zotfile feature has been disabled with the update, but this new annotation extraction cannot extract notes by a single color, which has thrown me off as this was the main function I was using Zotfile for. What should I do? Thank you!
  • @cvpage: Filter by a color in the PDF reader sidebar, do a Select All, and add the annotations to a note.
  • I have over 500 articles to do this for, so this is not a plausible way for me to go about this when Zotfile automated the process completely. So I'm just out of luck?
  • Can you explain what you want to do, exactly?
  • I'm doing a qual/quant analysis project and was using color highlights as a coding scheme (different colors meaning different codes within text documents). With Zotfiles annotation extractor and Zoteros tagging system I have been able to pretty efficiently group different sets of articles and analyze the color coded annotations.

For example, I could group together all the red highlights for a specific set of tagged articles to compare. Or all the purple highlights for my entire population.

I hope that makes sense! My colleague is using MAXQDA to do the same thing, but I honestly liked the system I had come up with better.

Thanks!
  • So you want to create a single standalone note from selected items — like the Create Note from Annotations option — but with the ability to limit it to specific colors?

I could see us adding a dialog to that option that would allow filtering by color or tag.
  • @hsiangyu_wong

This link you connected to looks like what i need.

Apologies for the newb question but where exactly would I type this code to extract the Zotero notes into another Zotero note?
  • @quichea

Could you please open an issue in the plugin repo: https://github.com/windingwind/zotero-better-notes/issues
    and we could discuss it there? Sharing images would be easier on GitHub.
  • @dstillman So is there an option that this dialog option will happen within the near future? Can you be frank with me so I know if I need to move the entirety of my project to a completely different software or not?

What is the point of an update if it makes useful plug ins obsolete? In my opinion, the plug in and other PDF readers were a-okay while Zoteros option for these are seriously lacking in utility. Why fix something that isn't broken?

Sorry for my frustration but this has been a project I have poured a ton of time and effort into for well over a year. I was just about to finish up, but now it looks like I'm starting all over with a different software because Zotero wanted a PDF reader. Wonderful.
  • this has been a project I have poured a ton of time and effort into for well over a year. I was just about to finish up,
    You can download old versions of Zotero and Zotfile if this is about finishing a project. dstillman would be able to say for sure, but I wouldn't wait on a specific Zotero feature to land. Timing on such things is always uncertain.