PDF images do not display in Zotero viewer but do display in Preview.app

I have a downloaded google book that has images which display when I use the Preview app but not when I use Zotero reader on my iMac. On page 30 of the file linked below, I see only a blank space where the image should be in Zotero reader. If I click "show file" and open the same file in Preview i can see the image on page 30. I have encountered this problem with other books dowloaded from Google as well.

https://books.google.com/books?id=2QVQAAAAMAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA5#v=onepage&q&f=false
  • Can you see the image if you open the PDF file with PDF.js online viewer?
  • No, the image does not show up when I open the PDF with the Firefox viewer. but it does show up if I open it with the Chrome viewer. I don't know how to open a pdf with the pdf.js viewer but it looks like opening it in firefox is the same interface as the one you linked to. Is there a reason that PDF.js would have trouble displaying certain images?
  • Not much we can do at the moment. We have to wait until PDF.js fixes that. Most likely there is something non-standard with the those images. I saw similar cases before.
  • Ah, ok! It’s a pretty big issue for me; it has cropped up in dozens of PDFs downloaded from Google Books. Hope they fix it soon. Is there a way to submit a bug report to Mozilla?
  • You can try reporting it here.
  • Is the RTL language rendering problem inherent in pdf.js or zotero?
    discussed here: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/98567/rtl-language-highlights-not-working-correctly#latest

I am asking because so I can plan accordingly if there is no chance of it being resolved until Zotero 7.
  • Good morning,
    I'm restarting this conversation because I have the same problem whether using Zotero on my Mac or the online version. The text is displayed but not the images. Has anyone been able to find a solution?
    Thank you so much.
  • @ABVJ: We'd need to see the PDF in question, either linked here or sent to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread. There's obviously no general problem with displaying images in PDFs in Zotero.
  • @ABVJ Unfortunately, our PDF reader, which is based on the Firefox PDF.js reader, currently can't render the image because it contains some non-standard properties.