"Add notes and annotation links" broken in v.6.0.13

I usually use "add notes from annotation" which automatically creates links to all my highlights in the PDF.In zotero 6.0.13,I also can't get notes and the links to my highlights.
Debug ID is 512129480 and 1759844396
thanks
  • I'm not sure what you're referring to here. As in your other thread, we'd need exact Steps to Reproduce.
  • Report ID: 512129480 and 1759844396

When I use "add notes from annotation" which can't automatically creates links to all my highlights in the PDF, moreover there are confusion characters in the notes on the right-hand pane 。

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start Zotero.
    2. In My Library, click the New Item menu and select Book.
    3. With the new paragraph selected, click on “add the notes from annotation”
    4. Click on “the confusion characters” in the right pane

After the third step,there are confusion characters in the notes in the right-hand pane.
    after the fourth step,it can't automatically link to my highlights in the PDF .

Is that OK?
  • edited September 3, 2022
    No, those steps don't make any sense. In step 2 you're creating a new empty item, and then in step 3 you're referring to some "new paragraph" and triggering "Add Note from Annotations", which only applies to items with PDFs, which isn't something you've mentioned at all in the previous steps.

Here and in your other thread, we can only help you if you provide full, complete steps to reproduce the exact problem you're experiencing, with the exact same data. You don't have to post in English, but you do need to provide what we ask for. If you're having trouble understanding, find someone to help you read what we're saying and provide the information we're asking for.
  • Report ID: 512129480 and 1759844396
    1.打开zotero
    2.在我的图书馆中打开任意1篇PDF文件
    3.选中PDF中的任意一个段落或者一句话、一个字
    4.选择用译文创建笔记
    5.点击所创建的笔记
    第四步之后,未出现我用译文创建的笔记内容,而是出现了一串混乱的字符
    第五步,点击所谓“创建的笔记”即混乱的字符,无法进行链接到原文位置
  • 用译文创建笔记
    I guess you are using the Zotero PDF Translate add-on?
    https://github.com/windingwind/zotero-pdf-translate

Does the problem still occur if you disable the plugin (Tools -> Add-ons -> Disable next to that plugin)?
    If it does not occur without the plugin enabled, the problem is probably due to the plugin and not Zotero. In that case, you should probably report in the GitHub of that plugin, so that the developer can see the problem you are reporting and address it:
    https://github.com/windingwind/zotero-pdf-translate/issues

If you report there, the developer will still still need the same level of details that have been asked in this forum, including also the precise settings you are using in that add-on, such as the language of the original file, the target language of translation, where you have clicked precisely, ...
    Additionally, the third-party developers will not have access to the content of the reports submitted to Zotero. So you will need to provide it to them in another way.
    It will probably be useful to provide your operating system, the complete list of add-ons you are using, which version of the add-on are you using which is causing the problem, link to this post where you have made the original report, ...

To maximize your chances to be understood by the people who can help you, I suggest that you take screenshots illustrating the problem you are facing, especially showing what you mean by "一串混乱的字符".

Finally, the more precise you are in your report, the more chances you will have to get someone to help you. You mention that this problem occurs with any PDF file and any text in it. If this is correct, please reproduce the problem with an open access article and give the link to that article here, so that others can reproduce the steps you describe with the exact same PDF file.
  • 非常感谢,我刚刚按照您的方法禁用了”Zotero PDF Translate“,但是问题仍然存在。
    ”混乱的字符“大部分内容如下:
    fif comment}

**? \*H:** ( commentendifhighlight}]

9 I: «citation
    签:#{Etags join=' #'IH'endify)

因为这里无法添加图片,所以只能复制下来粘贴在这里
  • 这里无法添加图片
    You can put it on a shared drive, like OneDrive, and then paste the public link here.
    但是问题仍然存在
    To make sure about this statement: can you confirm that after disabling the add-on, you have repeated all the steps you have described above in a completely new PDF file, and you have again generated the same problem?
    Can you still repeat the problem from scratch if you disable all the add-ons?

Can you update the steps to reproduce you have provided with all add-ons disabled, and more information, as asked in the questions below?
    4.选择用译文创建笔记
    Can you be more specific on how you added the annotation and where you see it? On which exact button did you click (top menu, right-click, pop-up window, what is the exact text like "Add a Note" maybe)? And where do the annotations and strange characters appear (left-hand side pane, right-hand side pane or both)?
    Did you highlight the text with some colour first?
    For the button "Add to Note" to appear, you would need to have a note currently opened. Do you have a note opened? How was it created? Is it a child note of the PDF file you are annotating, or is it a standalone note?

• edited September 4, 2022
    您好,我使用”notion"复现了我的问题,里面附上了每一步的图片,里面的操作都是在禁用了所有插件的情况下进行的,麻烦帮查找下问题所在,谢谢!
    https://electric-giant-623.notion.site/zotero-ce2b39a27b1344e78713fa4a473533c1
  • Thank you for the detailed steps to reproduce and illustrations.
    I cannot reproduce on my side, but it should be enough information for someone in Zotero to help you.

Just a last thing I can think of: did you change any of the Note Templates settings?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/note_templates
    If you don't remember, can you post a screenshot of what setting appear when you search for annotations.noteTemplates (see link above).
  • 按您所说,我做了如下操作,麻烦您帮找到问题所在
    https://electric-giant-623.notion.site/zotero-abdd6487be4349218e1495cda7b3cb0f
  • The problem you are seeing is coming from these settings. If you are saying that they are changed by the Better Notes plugin, then you probably need to report to the developer on his GitHub page:
    https://github.com/windingwind/zotero-better-notes/issues
  • 非常感谢!
  • Yes, the preferences system doesn't support extended characters. It might be possible to put escaped characters in there (using the JS escape() command), but I haven't tested that.
  • Thanks, @mjthoraval , I've noticed this thread.

To clarify, the Better Notes plugin has a unique template system and it works in a different way compared to the Zotero one(https://www.zotero.org/support/note_templates), which is mentioned above. And it does not change the way 'Add to Note' works.

The plugin never modifies any Zotero pref settings, including the annotations.noteTemplates.

As @xingxing12 has disabled all plugins and the problem still exists, I suppose this is not caused by any plugin. Maybe resetting the annotations.noteTemplates and its related pref settings would solve this problem. They are possibly spoiled by unseen characters I guess?
  • edited September 5, 2022
    It’s what I say above. Extended characters (e.g., Chinese characters) won’t work unescaped in the pref system. It’s a technical limitation from the Mozilla platform.