MS Word Plugin document update problem

• Hi, I seem to be having the same problem about the document update that others have reported with Word. The odd thing is, it does not happen with EVERY document. Some of the old ones which had citations in them from the previous beta version of Zotero, upgraded just fine; but there is one in particular that keeps telling me it cannot update.

I already pasted the text into a new document, but that also did not work. I have all the latest updates to plugins. (Zotero was updated today to the latest beta version, and I then installed the corresponding new plugin for Word.) I am using Word 2002 by the way.

here is the error code: 685466162
  • I've just installed today's update and reinstalled the word plugin. Tried to insert a new citation into an old doc. The error message did appear again, so did the conversion window, but the citation got inserted this time, only next to the field as normal text (so it's not very useful): {Citation}(Schönfeld 1970:90).
    What really strange:I tried inserting the citation several times again. Every time I did so, a different citation appeared next to the {citation} field. They were all random citations from the same doc. Weird...
    So Here is my first error ID: 601682164.
    My second (after trying to reinsert): 1498411318
  • krl and ksvadlenak, if you have a document exhibiting the issues that you can send to support@zot...org, that would be great.

diomedia, can you post a report ID for this issue?

corgeon, you are not using Word; please don't hijack other people's threads. If your issue is still the same as you reported in the other threads you posted in, you can fix it by upgrading to Zotero OpenOffice Integration 3.0a2 (from Firefox, Tools->Add-ons->Extensions->Find Updates).
  • dudukk, does the citation get inserted next to the text in a new doc? Does the citation get inserted next to the text if it has no accented characters?
  • Hi Simon,

I'll send you a couple of documents that generate the error. It is now affecting most of my documents, and cutting and pasting into a new Word document also does not work. Same error message appears.

When I paste only portions of text, then it works, but that is not a solution, as my documents are very long with many references, and I don't know why all of a sudden there is this glitch, when with the previous release there was no problem creating reference lists.

Thanks anyway, for looking into it! (A bit urgent, as I'm also working on a thesis to hand in...)
  • I solved my previous error, but ironically I now really DO get the same problem as the others (Zotero experienced an error updating your document). Do you guys want another example-file, or have you already been inundated with them? :))
  • We can always use more files. The "Zotero experienced an error updating your document" message is pretty generic and we've already found several different causes at work in this thread.
  • Dear Simon, I tried the things you asked. When I inserted a citation in a new doc with accented characters the citation appeared next to the {citation} field as a simple text like this:
    adf ads asdf sdf sdf af asdf asf saf asd asdf {Citation}(Schönfeld, 1970, o. 230)

When I inserted a citation without diacritics everything seemed ok:
    asdf as fasdf asdf asdf asdf sadf asdf asdf asdf asf (Aitchison, 2001, o. 26)

Here's my error log, in case it helps: 728974262

By the way, my MsWord and operating system (and my Firefox) are all in Hungarian (the reason for the letter o. in the citation). If that should make a difference.

I hope the accented characters problem can also be solved:)
    Thanks for the effort!
  • Sorry, one more thing:
    I've just tried to add the bibliography to the new test-docs I generated. In both cases (the citation with or without diacritics) the bibliography gets inserted next the {citation} field like this:
    {Citation}Aitchison, J. (2001). Language Change: Progress or Decay? Cambridge approaches to linguistics (3. ed.). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

{Citation}Schönfeld, M. (1970). Schönfeld's Historische Grammatica Van Het Nederlands; Klankleer, Vormleer, Woordvorming. (A. V. Loey, Szerk.) (8. ed.). Zutphen: W. J. Thieme & Cie.

Another error log (should you need it): 472898831
    Cheers!
  • I tried the new version, and it still does not work :(
  • I have the same problem with Zotero MacWord Integration 3.0a4, too. New documents seem to work but old documents produce the "Zotero experienced an error updating your document" error message...
  • edited September 18, 2009
    ksvadlenak, I isolated your issue and a fix is now on the trunk. Thanks.

dudukk, I think I have an idea where your issue might be now, although I can't replicate it myself. I'll try to come up with a fix for it, although you'll have to let me know if it works.

Greg, would you mind sending a broken file to support@zot...org with a link to this thread?
  • I have just send the document... Thanks!!
  • dudukk, I can't reproduce your issue, but based on the information you've given I may have fixed it. Would you mind trying out the trunk WinWord plug-in? You'll have to manually install the next WinWord plug-in when it's released.
  • Hey, it seems, that i have the same problem like # diomedea "Zotero experienced an error updating your document".
    Mac user, word 2008, newest updates...

Your last update "Would you mind trying out the trunk WinWord plug-in?" has a problem with firefox. Incompatible with Firefox Biuld type (Darwin_x86_gcc3)...
  • edited September 19, 2009
    mopi21, can you post a report ID? If you don't mind, it might also be useful if you could send the file to support@zot...org. The plug-in I posted above is only for Windows users (and specifically only for those experiencing dudukk's specific issue, i.e., those for whom {Citation} appears before citations and bibliographies).
  • edited September 19, 2009
    i think i've found the problem. its the bibliographie. if you delete the bibliography and add a new one, the problem is solved. (at the moment!)

addition: problem is back after a while, but only with bibliography... if i delete the bibliography, problem solved...

but, it seems logic, because the error-message was time-delayed in comparison to the faster citation insertation...
  • Hi Simon,

Sorry, could you explain what 'on the trunk' means? Does it mean I'm getting a fix for it soon?

Thanks!
  • ksvadlenak, see http://www.zotero.org/support/dev/svn_and_trac_access#trunk. The fix for your issue required changes to the main Zotero Firefox Extension, which has a longer release cycle than the plug-ins (although it still shouldn't be too long). You can download the trunk XPI at the page above, but you're discouraged from doing so unless 1) your issue is urgent, 2) you make and keep frequent backups of all important data while running the trunk XPI, and 3) you switch over from the trunk to the next release of Zotero as soon as it becomes available.
  • Sorry for the delay, here is the report ID: 299462703

OSX 10.5.8
    Microsoft Word 2008 12.0.0
    Zotero 2.0b7
    Zotero Macword Integration 3.0a4

I get the message "Zotero experienced an error updating your document." I am not able to insert new citations in my old documents (but I can for example delete and recreate the bibliography, so some things are working). In 3.0a2, it did not work in new documents, now it does (it seems), its the old documents that are still problematic.
  • Simon,

Report ID - 2091513286. And I sent you the file with which the error occurred a few days ago. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Thank you Simon. My issue is in fact very urgent. I have to hand in the final version of my thesis in 10 days, and by then I need to have the referencing issues sorted out. But the trunk site says "Using a trunk XPI with important data is strongly discouraged." So now I don't know if I shoudl or should not. It seems that in this case there is no alternative? Or will you be publishing the fix within the next 10 days?
  • ksvadlenak: 2.0b7.2, based on the trunk, will be out within a day or two

If you can't wait, you should be OK using the trunk for a couple days, as long as you upgrade to 2.0b7.2 as soon as it comes out. That warning applies mostly to more experimental development periods, and at the moment it's just bug fixes until 2.0 Final (though bug fixes aren't guaranteed not to cause other problems). You should, of course, make frequent backups regardless of what version you're using, as you would of any important data.
  • Dan, thanks. A day or two sounds good. I shall await 2.0b7.2 eagerly!
  • hello again,

now using Zotero 2.0b7.1 and the MacWord Integration Trunk (3.0a1.r5176), and everything seems to work just fine.
  • krl, that's great. We just released what was Zotero MacWord Integration r5176 as 3.0a5 a few seconds ago, so now that everything is working, you can switch back to the release version. Also, for all others with issues with MacWord Integration, the update will probably take care of them.
  • Thanks a lot, my problems are now solved!
  • thank you!
  • Error 722301290

Hi Dan/Simon,
    Updated zotero and plugin. Old document using previous version on Word 2000. Content copied into new document, bibliogrpahy deleted. Attempting to insert new reference, asked which style to use - then "Zotero experienced a problem updating your document".

Would appreciate some advice
    Cheers
    Kayode
  • My problem is solved with 3.0a5, too!

Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.