extra space and extra comma - bluebook

2»
  • I was afraid you would say that... but you are correct, it is complicated.

We can limit this to US Courts. In general, the abbreviation can be found next to the year. For example:

State
    Supreme Court of Minnesota - State v. Ness, 707 N.W.2d 676, 680 (Minn. 2006).
    Indiana Court of Appeals - Watkins v. Alvey, 549 N.E.2d 74 (Ind. Ct. App. 1990).

Federal
    8th Cir. Court of Appeals - Langford v. United States, 993 F.3d 633 (8th Cir.)
    District Court of New Jersey - City of Millville v. Rock, 683 F. Supp. 2d 319 (D.N.J. 2010)

I thought about substituting the code with the manual citation entry for the guidelines. It is not ideal, but I have tried most of what I can do/think.
  • So just to restate, for case law, just adding the court before the year would basically always be correct? We can take a look at that.
  • I wish I could say that, but that’s not the case. I may just have to make the adjustments manually. If it were to be implemented as it should, then maybe a box one can check to identify the type of court, which would trigger a code adding the abbreviation next to the year. It would be nice but it is something that I foresee requires a lot of work. I appreciate very much you looking into it this far. Maybe in the future there may be a way to make it happen.
  • If you happen to come up with a workaround, please let me know even if it entails choosing a different item type label because I noticed that when citing UN General Assembly Resolutions, the full date and not just the year is needed inside the parenthesis... Thank you!
  • Hi There, I have a follow up question about what we have been talking about here.

I am trying to set up citation of a case which is citing a language from another so it would come out like this

Furman v. Georgia, 408 U.S. 238, 242 (1972) (citing Weems v. United States, 217 U.S. at 378 (Douglas, J., concurring) (“The Anglo-American system of law...").

When I trying to drag and drop the code I am having the hardest time making it happen and this is what I get:

{ | Furman v. Georgia, 408 U.S. 238 Supreme Court of the United States, 1972 | p. 242 | (Weems v. United States, 217 U.S. 349 Supreme Court of the United States, 1910 |zu:5288534:JGRSX5PU}

I know my placement is incorrect. What am I doing wrong?
  • I'd have tried:

{ | Furman v. Georgia, 408 U.S. 238 Supreme Court of the United States, 1972 | p. 242 | (citing Weems v. United States, 217 U.S. at 378 (Douglas, J., concurring) (“The Anglo-American system of law...") |zu:5288534:JGRSX5PU}

Does that not work?
  • I guess that would be a way to do it. I thought that since I have over 1000 citations, there was a way to do it by dragging and dropping the one code inside the other, but it did not like it.

The problem I just realized is that if any of these have been cited before, then it would show as: (citing supra n.xyz at 123) (Douglas, J., concurring)... which would not work... I would have to do this manually then.

Thank you for your time and response.
  • If you need that level of complexity of legal citation, you really need to be using Juris-M and not vanilla Zotero. It’s Indigo Book style is specifically designed to handle this sort of parallel citation.
  • I appreciate it. I messaged their support the last week of March, and I have yet to hear back.

My main concern is messing up my Zotero library when I am close to finishing the project. I posted a question about this on March 17, 2022 in this forum.

Ideally, I would like to "practice" with a small section of my project in their platform without syncing my Zotero library and see what you are referencing at work. However, if you suggest that syncing will not affect the library, and if things were not to work out over there, I could continue with Zotero, I would try it and see if it works. Thoughts?

Thank you so much for your suggestion.
  • @adamsmith

Hi there, so I tried what you suggested, to manually enter the citing within the citation and I got this:

Furman v. Georgia, 408 U.S. 238, 242 (1972) (citing Weems v. United States, 217 U.S. 349, 378 [1910] [Douglas, J., concurring] [“The Anglo-American system of law..."].

instead of ...

Furman v. Georgia, 408 U.S. 238, 242 (1972) (citing Weems v. United States, 217 U.S. 349, 378 (1910) (Douglas, J., concurring) (“The Anglo-American system of law...").

The internal parenthesis changed to [ ]. Do you have a suggestion on how to make those stay parenthesis?

Thanks a lot!
  • Hi @adamsmith, I know you guys are probably very busy. I wanted to check-in on your thoughts regarding the question I had. Thank you so much in advance for your time and response. Have a great day.
  • I'm afraid I don't have a good answer on this one. CSL flips parentheses by default (as is the norm in English in most contexts) and I'm not aware of a good way to turn this off, though I know that this isn't done in legal citations.
    @bwiernik do you happen to have any idea here? I don't think this is related to ODF Scan -- same would happen with affixes.
  • The function in citeproc-js is checkNestedBraces(). Looking at the code, that function is always applied and doesn’t have a toggle. CSL or CSL-M don’t currently have a style parameter to control the flipping of nested braces.

Perhaps try to enter the second citation in the Extra field like this:
    References: citation…

The References CSL variable is a good fit for this type of information. You might need to customize your CSL style to include this variable.
  • Ok I see. I added this to the extra field: "Reference: (per curiam) (citing Weems v. United States, 217 U.S. 349, 378 (1910) (Douglas, J., concurring) (“The Anglo-American system of law...")."

and here is what the citation string looks like: Furman v. Georgia, 408 U.S. 238, 238 (1972).

I am not savvy on CSL, do you have any suggestions on how to change the code to change the brackets into parenthesis in these cases?
  • What citation style are you using?
  • Hi @bwiernik
    I hope you are doing great. Just checking in on any suggestions you may have as to the bracket/parenthesis issue I described. Thank you in advance for your help and time.
  • Hi @adamsmith and @bwiernik
    I hope you guys are doing great. Just a brief note looking for any guidance you may have on the bracket/parenthesis issue. Agains, thank you for all the help