Unable to download papers using Zotero chrome extension

edited May 19, 2022
Hello,

Recently I've been unable to download/save papers using the Zotero chrome extension properly. When I do, in red font there is a big cross and it says "X Full Text PDF" and although the web link is on my Zotero programme, I cannot access the actual PDF version. I thought it was because I had run out of storage but I have double checked this and I indeed still have storage.

My report ID is 1796471270
  • I have just retried downloading another paper from another journal and this has been able to download fine, then I retried the original paper (that didn't work yesterday) and it still continues to not work.
  • Can you provide 1) an example URL and 2) a Debug ID from Zotero for a save that fails?

(As long as you have the desktop app, Zotero always saves locally, so storage is irrelevant here.)
  • Hi, thanks so much for responding so quickly!

Here is the example URL https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1760273410000056

and this is the debug ID: D1530740676
  • It appears it is for links from sciencedirect.com
  • Elsevier has some over-zealous anti-bot defenses on ScienceDirect that make it much harder for Zotero to download PDFs than on other sites, even when you have subscription-based access. We have a special method specifically for this purpose, but it may fail intermittently and potentially needs a longer timeout. If you reload the page, make sure nothing else is running on your computer, and try again, does it fail every time? Is this a particularly slow computer?
  • I've tried reloading the page with nothing else opened and it still fails. It's not the slowest of computers and all other papers are very quickly and easily downloaded by Zotero.
This discussion has been closed.