How to fix the column width?如何固定列宽

edited April 22, 2022
I use zotero in win10 and win11 laptop. When I maximize the zotero software window, every column width will be biger. How to fix the column width? please help me. ThX
正常化的列宽在最大化后,每个列都变宽了。如何能够固定它?
separate window
https://photos.app.goo.gl/TjLjT5tXDJGgvUMR6

maximize window
https://photos.app.goo.gl/V8jrw49hyMr5UAtaA

I want to fix the column width even though I maximize zotero window, such as column"year", "note". I don't want to maximize these columns. I just let me see more column within the field of vision.

Many thanks!
  • Can you explain step by step what you're doing and what happens? Provide screenshots.
  • ok, I have update my question, thanks a lot
  • That's not a bug, but I see why you would want to do that. We'll consider adding support for this.
  • edited April 22, 2022
    I also have this problem with the new version 6.0.5. I have enlarged the width of the title column. However, when I maximize the window of Zotero, and then restore the window size, my adjustment of the column width is lost.
  • Thanks for your reply. We know the contents in "attachment","note","Year" etc columns are relatively short while The "title" column is long. Also, we want to see more words in title column. However, when I exchange the window from maxium to common size, all the columns are minimize and I cannot see the content in creator, year columns ,just like this https://photos.app.goo.gl/r3TLTjiW4qpXCJst7
    I wish zotero just like endnote can fix column width, it is very perfect!
    Please consider my suggestions
    Also forget me for my poor English

Many Thanks
  • I across the same problem
  • scroll bar could be a better tool
  • I also have this problem with the new version 6.0.5. I have enlarged the width of the title column. However, when I maximize the window of Zotero, and then restore the window size, my adjustment of the column width is lost.
    I could reproduce this in Zotero 6.0.5.
  • If you keep repeating "Maximize" followed by "Restore Down", the columns end up being equally spaced. The same happens if you grab the the window's border to minimize/maximize its width. Perhaps a horizontal scroll bar could help?
  • edited April 30, 2022
    This problem persists in 6.0.7-beta.1+5e0674b84 (Windows 11)
  • I across the same problem.
  • edited April 28, 2022
    @xingli1104 I cannot agree with you more. I also wish zotero can fix column width, just like ENDNOTE! In ENDNOTE, you can adjust the column width to any width without affecting the width of the other columns, because there is a sliding bar at the bottom of the endnote window. You can even double-click on the dividing line between two columns to automatically adjust the column width to show the entire contents of the left column. As for me, this is the only advantage of ENDNOTE now, after zotero6.0.6 allow adding multiple sources at once in classic citation dialog.
    By the way, when you click on an item, is it possibility to preview the pdf in the information section on the right side of zotero, though you can do this by a plugin named zoteroquicklook and a software named quicklook. Then, you may switch entries slower, I don't kwon if it is a good idea, because ENDNOTEX20 elimination of this function, you can only use this in ENDNOTEX9, this make ENDNOTE worse.
  • Same issue here. Plus it happens if I switch from laptop screen to external and back (always in fullscreen mode). Screens do not have the same aspect ratio/resolution: 2048x1152 and 1920x1200
  • edited May 4, 2022
    I have enlarged the width of the title column. However, when I maximize the window of Zotero, and then restore the window size, my adjustment of the column width is lost.
    This is fixed in the latest Zotero beta, and the fix will be included in Zotero 6.0.7 soon.
  • Many thanks for the fix.
  • Zotero 6.0.7 is available now with the fix.
  • Thanks a lot for the update!
  • @dstillman Thanks a lot first. However, may be a new bug has appeared. When you click the dividing line between two columns or adjust the width of a column, the column width of the title column will become wider and the column width of the other columns will gradually become narrower until the narrowest.
  • @dstillman It is great. Thanks a lot.
  • Hey!

There are many topics related to column width adjustment, so I'm unsure to which one I should post to, but I chose this since @Wilson411424's earlier comment describes my problem too. Basically, in "[PROGRAM X" you can adjust the column width to any width without affecting the width of the other columns", which is not what Zotero does, which makes adjusting column width quite tedious for me at least. I'm running Zotero 6.0.26.

Are there any comments from the developers concerning this?
  • Hey @dstillman! I hope you don't mind me pinging you into this topic. Please see my earlier post regarding my problems with column width adjustments affecting the neighboring columns, as described by @Wilson411424.