Permanent Upload of New Citation Style

Does anyone know how to permanently upload a new citation style? I created a new style that I now need to upload (into FireFox) every time I start a new document. Is this the usual practice?

Thanks.
  • no. You probably haven't created the style properly.
    Have you left the ID-field the same as in the style you worked of? That means Zotero overwrites your style with the one from the repository with that ID.
    Change that ID field to something else - that should probably do.

Remember, if your styles are more broadly applicable, consider sharing them - you can upload them somewhere and we will put them into the repository.
  • OK. I think I see what you mean. I did change the name (title) of the style - but not the style id (from the style I modified). Currently the id is listed as:

<id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-author-date</id>;

Since this refers to a web site I am uncertain of the correct way to modify this id. Can I change to the following?

<id>http://www.zotero.org/styles/chicago-author-date-modified for et al 2</id>

should I comment out the "link href"? Are comments made in csl with question marks?
  • exactly and yes, that should work - I'd put hyphens between all of the text terms in the fake link, though, not sure if csl is going to be upset otherwise.
    You don't need to comment out the link href but you can.
    Commenting out in .csl follows general .xml norms:

<!--
    stuff to be commented out
    -->
  • Thanks. I'd be happy to share the citation style I've edited. I included comments to explain the changes within the code. Where can I send or upload? -Jill
  • why don't you upload it to gist.github.com and I'll upload it
    Is it for any journal/school/or department? I.e. might other people benefit from it?
  • @adamsmith:

I would also like to upload a style I've been working on for our UN commission (ECLAC). It's a work-in-progress. What is the policy for uploading "draft" styles?
  • well - since all the styles uploaded by users (like me - I have no association with Zotero beyond being an active community member) are tagged with a (dev) anyway I'd say go ahead!
    Also, it's really easy to update styles.

Either you can create a SVN account and upload yourself (there are some instructions on how to do this using a nifty little program called Tortoise SVN on the forum) or you can upload it to gist.github.com and I'll put it up for you.
  • Where are these styles made available? Last I checked the zotero listing of citations none were available for upload except the defaults. I have been using a citation style that is more common in economics journals - but matches none exactly. I'll have to edit further for a specific journal before posting.
  • @adamsmith:

Could you upload this to the repository? The URL is invalid and I'm assuming the modification date will be updated automagically.

git://gist.github.com/166692.git
  • edited September 2, 2009
    @adamsmith:

Could you update my previous style with this one? I fixed a few minor things.

http://gist.github.com/179956

PS: I don't have a SVN account. Can I do this manually so I don't have to bother you?
  • done.
    If you mean "can I do this without a SVN account" the answer is no, but it takes me one minute - and especially for CEPAL I'm happy to.
  • @ adamsmith

Please could you help upload this style too!
    http://gist.github.com/188299

It's for Oryx. I've been working with the editor to get it just right, and it's the best we can do with CSL 0.8

The most annoying thing is that I can't get the citations to automatically sort by date, but I'm hoping CSL1 will sort that out.

Thanks!
    How painful is it to set up Tortoise SNV so I can do it myself for future ones?
  • done.

I think tortoise SVN is very easy - I'm on linux so I use something different, but if you search for Tortoise on the forum there are brief instructions by Rintze - essentially all you need to do is to get trac access, then "checkout" the styles folder from Zotero (there's a checkout button and you need to input the URL of the svn repository) and then you can just treat it as a regular folder.