[Bug] 'zotero://xx' open launch application window loop infinitely

When an invalid 'zotero://xx' URL calls Zotero, the launch application window will be reopened infinitely until pressing 'cancel'.

I also expect an error alert like 'not a valid Zotero URL'.

Thanks!
  • Not sure exactly what you're referring to here. Can you take a screenshot, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here?
  • I'm testing the Zotero URL. For example, I open a link from the browser: zotero://test

Zotero will open a window: https://drive.google.com/file/d/10qcy_kiYCKfVCtX7khkQrAC1M-l1403l/view?usp=sharing

When clicking the open link button, this Launch Application window will be closed and reopened, closed and reopened, ... which is confusing.
  • If a user tries to open an invalid link, maybe Zotero should just give an alert, like OS does when opening some unsupported file formats.
  • I think this is what I am experiencing. I posted my description of the event just a few minutes ago in a separate thread.
  • I've also experienced this issue in the past when using Zotero 5. It happens when you try to open an unsupported zotero:// link such as zotero://data/ and then check "Remember my choice for zotero links" in the prompt described above. I noticed that this choice is saved to the handlers.json file in your profile directory. Closing Zotero and removing ,"zotero":{"action":4} in handlers.json fixes the issue with the infinite loop.

I'd guess some better handling of unsupported zotero:// links in Zotero's protocol handler might help. It seems that zotero:// is already registered in the Windows registry to be handled by Zotero. Zotero (or the Firefox base) then asks you how to handle some unsupported zotero://test/ link with an option to remember this choice. The infinite loop occurs if you select Zotero in the prompt with the checkbox checked.

There's a related issue on GitHub: https://github.com/zotero/zotero/issues/2558.