Cannot open PDFs in iOS App

I sync attachment files in my library using Zotero. On the iOS app, all of my files have the PDF symbol with a grey question mark to their bottom right. When I click on the pdf symbol, the question mark becomes a red exclamation point. I get the error "The attached file could not be found." This is not true however because I can open the pdf just fine on my computer. I click Retry and there is still the exclamation point. I click Retry again and I get the blue loading square with a circle of progress around it, but no progress is ever made. Eventually, I get to the point where there is no circle on the PDF icon, but when I try to open the file, it says "Unable to display document. the file you're trying to access is either not a PDF file or might be corrupted."

I thought maybe it was just my iPad so I restarted it but the same issue. I logged out and back in and had the same issue. I downloaded the app on my iPhone and same issue. Not sure what to do. I've been waiting for this launch forever.
  • I have the exact same problem, any ideas why this happens?
    Before updating to iOS 15.4.1 it worked properly.
  • @oomoruy, @afattor: Make sure you're running version 1.0.2 of the app, and if you're still having trouble provide a Debug ID for an attempt to open a file that fails.
  • I am having the same problem (ios 15.4.1) and I’m using v 1.0.2. My debug ID is: D2064589820
  • @oomoruyi, @afattor, @haug are you syncing your files to WebDAV or Zotero storage?
  • @michalrentka I use WebDAV storage.
  • @haug can you share what WebDAV solution you use?
  • @michalrentka do you mean the provider? That would be pcloud.
  • @haug is the file actually available on WebDAV? When you use desktop Zotero connected to the same WebDAV server, can you access this file?
  • Yes, when the problem occurred, I was able to access the file from desktop Zotero via the same WebDAV. I also did try to check directly on the storage and I did see a zip-file with a last modified date that corresponded to when I saved the file on desktop, but I didn't check the contents of the zip file.

I cannot check now because the file is now showing up on the iOS app. Not sure if it is due to the restart of the iPad or just a delay in syncing or something else. What does the debug report say?
  • @haug the report pretty much said that the file was missing (received a 404 response from WebDAV). Since it now works on iOS and desktop, I'd say it was either a bit slow sync or some temporary issue with pCloud. From personal testing, pCloud had many little outages (even when testing this yesterday), so maybe that's what happened.

Anyway there was a related bug that showed you the screen with "Unable to display document" which shouldn't have been shown. This bug has been fixed and will be available in next update. If you encounter more WebDAV issues with unavailable files, let us know.
  • OK, good to know that this likely was not an issue with the app (and that we still squashed a bug by the by).

I wonder, though whether the app could issue different error messages for 4xx errors vs a corrupted file? Or is that the bug you fixed?
  • @haug yes, the whole screen with corrupted file was a bug. It'll just show an error now when you tap to open it.
  • Excellent! Because if it hadn't shown that screen, I'd have guessed it was a sync problem.
  • edited April 13, 2022
    @dstillman @michalrentka I use zotero storage! I also updated the app. My debug ID is D2130371659
  • Same problem! Any new instructions or just sharing the Debug as recommended in the page?
    My Debug ID D1361564482
  • Mara: This thread is about iOS. You provided a Debug ID from your Mac. If you're having trouble on iOS, we'd need a Debug ID from that. Otherwise, please start a new thread and explain the exact problem you're experiencing.
  • @oomoruyi: That file just doesn't exist online. See Files Not Syncing.
  • @dstillman it does this for every single file I have. when I click on them on my computer, it works just fine
  • @dstillman i think i understand what you mean-- my zotero storage has run out, so my new files have not been synced. I will try switching to webdav storage and see if that fixes things
  • @oomoruyi: Read the linked page, which explains this. The files aren't available online, so you obviously wouldn't be able to open them on another device. In your case it's because you're at your file storage quota, so new files aren't uploaded. Zotero on your desktop would be warning you about this on every sync.
  • My debug id is D626095827
  • @ClaireChallancin: Not sure what you're reporting — you'd have to say — but there's no download attempt shown in that debug output.
This discussion has been closed.