Epub annotation extraction?

I know that Zotfile extracts pdf annotation. Is there a way to extract epub?
  • Not currently. When Zotfile was originally written, there was no analogous free library like pdf.js for reading ePub. That’s changed, but the Zotfile developer is very active with his academic job and hasn’t had time to add major new features such as support for other file types in extraction.
  • I understand.
  • You could eventually convert the epub into PDF with Caliber
  • edited July 13, 2021
    Most .epub readers also allow printing, so you can 'print to PDF' to convert.
  • +1
    Any further info on this? Would be helpful to be able to get epub annotations into Zotero.
  • Related to this: The new pdf reader in Zotero makes me wish for a e-reader inside Zotero as well, with the same features as the pdf reader.
  • ^
    Seconded. An e-reader native to Zotero would be nice. Not being able to easily work with epubs is adding an extra bit of difficulty to my workflow.
  • + 1 to EPUB annotation extraction and in-app reader. I know it's not a small ask, but it would make the app much more accessible, and allow users to read comfortably on smaller devices.
  • edited April 11, 2022
    It seems that the reader for digital formats (mostly epub probably, based on the feedback) is much requested, apart from the extraction of annotations.

I just want to link the (longer) discussion / requests: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/404730
This discussion has been closed.