Latest mac plugin not working in snow leopard

2»
  • I upgraded to Snow Leopard and lost Zotero connectivity with MS Word 2008. I followed the instructions form Dan August 31st and copied the two download files to the /2.6/site-packages folder and the work around worked.

Tonight it worked fine, I stopped to install the iPhone SDK and an update to Firefox 3.5.3 and Zotero has stopped working in MS Word 2008, it does not appear in the menu as previously. I have tried reinstalling the components of Zotero in both Firefox and MS Word but neither has solved the problem.

Help!
  • This is the problem with frequent updates to all our technology. We are racing so fast with faster, better, slicker that we create huge problems around the integration of everything which is why I limit my third party tools. Dan, As one of your former presidents is renown for saying "I feel your pain".

I see that there is an update to Zotero 2.X but on the changelog I don't see reference to Snow Leopard. So shall I assume that we have yet to overcome this issue re: Python? Zotero is just so much better than everything else and so important to me as a research active academic that I will put Snow upgrade on hold still.

Related to that, will upgrading to Firefox 3.5 add complexity to all this? I have not yet moved to 3.5 awaiting a formal all clear from users of this forum. Dan, sorry to trouble you again for a view?
  • I am the stupidest person!! I upgraded to 10.6.1 last night, and now zotero plugin does not work for me anymore either. Upon clicking a command from word 2008 like add citation nothing happens, and a python icon starts bouncing up and down at the dock which i have to eventually force quit because it does not do anything.

Please forgive me Dan, I did not know this upgrade would wreck my zotero plugin again. I have a back up, but is there any way to go back to 10.6 and unapply the update? or is there another work around. I still dont understand though why a small update would wreck zotero. I did not update firefox or anything else though.

I will never forgive myself.
  • Ok Dan, Forgive me again !!

I tried a pretty dull work around and it appears I have resolved the issue !!

Here is what I did:

I created a new standard user account on my macbook to see what happens. I installed zotero in firefox as well as the plugin in word. And VOLLA everything worked there. Then i wondered "hmmm" its the same update, the same 10.6.1. Why is it working in here now?

So happily, I logged off and logged back into my own main account and VOLLA again... it all works now?

I would be glad to see if Dan or anyone else can explain this...

thanks guys..
  • edited September 16, 2009
    Zotero 2.0b7 is out now along with new word processor plugins that should work by default in Snow Leopard. As the new plugins use a completely different architecture, I'm closing this thread. Please start new threads for any issues with the new plugin.
This discussion has been closed.