citation dialog box opening behind google docs

I saw another thread about this but not any answer related to it. When in google docs if I add a citation, the red and green citation dialog box opens up behind the document not on top of the document as expected. Here's a video showing what is happening https://www.screencast.com/t/EB8gejHZA
  • What version of Windows is this? Is Chrome pinned to stay on top of other windows? If you use Zotero with Word or LibreOffice, does the citation dialog appear over the document?
  • @lhauck I managed to reproduce this. If you have the Zotero window minimized when you use the Google Docs integration the citation dialog opens under the browser. If you click on Zotero in the bottom bar to show the citation dialog in subsequent interactions it will appear over the browser window. If you minimize the browser to use the citation dialog it will appear under the browser the next time (i.e. what you do in the screen recording).

We have limited control over this since window management is done by the operating system. You will have to either not keep the Zotero window minimized, or, if you do, you will have to find the citation dialog by clicking on Zotero in the bottom bar to focus the citation dialog instead of minimizing the browser.
  • Solved for me.
    I had this problem while using Zotero with Windows 10 and Libreoffice. The citation dialogue box always appeared behind my Libreoffice window, and I would have to click it on the taskbar to bring it to the front.

I found a solution here by user bknorn:
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/63569/insert-citation-window-always-appear-in-background

Go to your Zotero program, Click 'edit', 'preferences', 'advanced' and then click 'config editor' down near the bottom. Click 'I accept the risk'. This will bring up the config editor.

In the search bar at top, search for 'integration', and find the line item:

extensions.zotero.integration.keepAddCitationDialogRaised

If its value is 'false', you need to change it to 'true'.
    Right-click on it, and select 'toggle', to toggle it to 'true'.
    Then close the window.
    This fixed the problem for me.