can't deactivate automatic updating in document preferences

Hello,

need some support, can't deactivate automtic updating of citations
Logging D1096126982

thank you
  • edited September 7, 2021
    another Logging D1621599728
  • edited September 7, 2021
    Could you say more about what you mean by that? See Steps to Reproduce for the kind of description we need.
  • I have to edit my super long word document and want to change the document preferences by deactivating 'Automatisch Zitationen aktualisieren'. But every time I uncheck the box and close the window and reopen 'document preferences', the box is checked. So as I wrote, I cannot deactive the automatic updating. I checked for updates for Zotero but I seem to have the latest version.
  • (I can't work with the word document with 'automatisch Zitationen aktualisieren, because any editing takes ages)
  • my Zotero version is 5.0.96.3, working on mac Mojave 10.14.6 and Word Version 16.52
  • Unfortunately I cannot update to a potentially more recent word version (my University got hacked severely in April and is still operating in safe mode, software portal is not available untill at least december)

I hope there is another work around!
  • .. also here is another Logging D957035960

1 restarted Zotero with acitvated logging
    2 click document preferences, uncheck 'Automatisch Zitationen aktualisieren'
    3 crashing
  • I am spending hours to try and fix this document with no luck. Pretty desperate by now.
  • You'd have to say more. The linked instructions will by definition isolate or solve all problems with existing documents that don't occur in new documents.
  • Hi again,

I am in the final phase of my PhD, which I have to finish besides my pay job, so I have to deal with limited time ressources. To still have progress, I did not actively work with Zotero anymore, and made notes where I have to add citations with Zotero later..

I am now again trying to find the error to fix the document. I hope you can understand my frustration.

Troubleshooting:
    - 1 latest version Zotero yes, Word no - using Word 16.54, last updated Oct 2021, under Mojave Mac OS, can't update to Catalina because of software issues

- 2 disable track changes is what doesn't work, as laid out in former posts

- 3 cleared all citations in captions

- 4 copying partly destroys the layout of my 200+ pages of my PHD - 1) this destroys my layout, event though I checked to box for maintaint former layout, 2) also got an error - did the Logging! D1021592173

- 5 making a copy - didnt work

- 6 local hard drive - check

- 7 won't let me switch bib styles, thats what worked many times before

- 8 bib is deleted, cannot add it

- 9 Fields mode ?

- 10 you referred to this as "this final step will by definition identify the problem". I copied each chapter to an individual word file and found one which gave the error. I narrowed it down to one page. but after repeating 'add bib', the error than did not occur again. Tried this several times. So i could not replicate the problem with the copied pages. Still when I repeatedly tried to refresh my original document, it gives an error message.

I was hoping you would be able to see more with the logging files. I wish the software was able to mark the spot where the issues occur or something.

Kind regards
  • update: Zotero has finally (!) started to update the citations in the copied document. Though there a major formatting issues, so I am not really happy with this solution.
  • .. crashed again in the middle. 'error'
  • More precise error messages might help. What exactly crashes and how does that look? What exact error message are you seeing?
    One thing to try if possible: Zotero is simply slower on Word for Mac, so if you are able to finalize in a synced Windows, that might allow you to finish the dissertation
  • before I read that comment, I actually was able to fix it with windows!

to answer your question what happened under mac IOS, the document finally had started to update the citaitons. It was running for some time (half an hour or an hour..), I simply clicked on another word file that was open and the error message popped up, it was unfortunately just that "an error occured, do you wan to see the troubleshooting page..", which is what makes it really frustrating.

So I opened the file on my work computer which runs on windows. And Zotero/Word responded within seconds, I was able to add the bibliography and it took maybe a minute. I was able to add citations too.

With mac, the Zotero/Word often didn't respond at all or with a delay of 20-30 mins!!! and I am not exaggerating that adding the bib took more than 2 hours! allways had that running over night.

I was able to open the wordfile with my mac and I will continue working with it here. However, I tried adding a citation and i took about I think 5 minutes! even though I 'fixed' the document with Windows.

Oh well, so for the final editing, I will have to use the windows pc. Thats not ideal but I am glad I found a possible way to go forward.

That was my sunday. I hope this feedback helps.