The document citations are being edited by another Zotero user. Please try again later.

There is no other user. I can't figure out how to get out of this loop!
  • I have tried rebooting. I closed down the Google Doc and Zotero. There is no other user.
  • I tried copying the Doc and making a new one- same message appears.
  • How long do is it take to get a human to respond. Is this my only support option?
  • Yes this is your only support option and response times vary depending on the nature of the problem and who is able to troubleshoot (and you first posted 5pm on a Friday afternoon, so do have some patience) -- mostly they're <24hs, but it can take 2-3 days especially over the weekend.
    They'll probably want an debug ID for inserting a citation for the browser connector:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output#zotero_connectors_firefox_chrome_and_safari
  • @Timrosenthal There is a "More Info" button in that dialog which you can click through and manually override the lock. Sorry for the issue. When no other user is involved, it is usually a result of Google Docs servers crashing.
  • I have attempted this to no avail
  • It allows me to override, but when I attempt to add the citation (or edit any of the ones that already exist- including my bibliography, it first says that it's taking to long and would I like to disable automatic citation updates, and refresh later, I choose "no" and then I let it run for a while and it says Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?
  • I've been through the troubleshooting instructions as well
  • edited July 12, 2021
    How large is the document?
    it first says that it's taking to long and would I like to disable automatic citation updates, and refresh later, I choose "no"
    You should say yes — in a large document, you absolutely want to disable automatic citation updates. You'll still want to periodically refresh to make sure it can complete successfully, but it doesn't need to refresh each time.

If you get an error while refreshing, we'd want a Report ID from Zotero after it occurs.
  • How large is the document? How many citations in it?
  • approx 120 pages; 130+ citations
  • With the size of the document you're at the cusp of the integration at the very least becoming very slow due to Google's own limitations. Otherwise in your report log I see that you got a HTTP error 0 when sending a request to google servers. Error 0 means that the browser failed to send out the request due to connection issues: proxy misconfiguration, internet connection interruption, a different extension blocking the request or similar. Are you on a reliable internet connection? If so, you might want to try disabling other extensions in the browser and/or trying a different browser entirely.
  • This is still a problem. It is allowing me to add citations now, but because it's not automatic, they are not going into my references. When I click on refresh I get an error message. Please advise. Thanks!
  • Also, if trying a different browser, is there one you'd suggest. I have tried Firefox-which is what I have been primarily using and Google Chrome
  • What error are you getting now?
  • @Timrosenthal If you make a copy of the document and split it in half, can you then refresh it?
  • This is clearly happening again, after I updated from a zotero prompt over the weekend.
  • @erika.ireland -- please don't double post (and definitely don't resurrect a two year old thread that is entirely irrelevant). I understand you're frustrated, but you know why this is happening from the other thread you posted to: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/109214/multiple-error-messages-when-attempting-to-update-citations-bib-or-settings-in-google-docs#latest
This discussion has been closed.