Multiple error messages when attempting to update citations, bib, or settings in Google Docs

The Zotero app auto-updated while I was editing a citation, which seems to have caused Zotero to think I'm stuck editing the citations as whenever I try to refresh Zotero in the document, edit a citation, add a bibliography, or switch word processors, I get the "The document citations are being edited by another Zotero user. Please try again later." message despite being the only one working in the document.

When I click the "Need help?" button and choose to override the document lock, I subsequently get the error message "Zotero experienced an error updating your document."

I have tried deleting the citation I was working on when Zotero updated in case this was the problem citation, but the problem has persisted.

Debug ID: D1361259382
  • I had the same problem at the exact same time.
    Zotero doesn't allow me to change any document in Google Docs but is working perfectly in Word.
    I wonder if this is a problem with Chrome.
  • Unfortunately this is a temporary bug on Google's side that happened a few weeks ago and seems to be happening again. As before, this is affecting other software as well, and all we can do is wait for Google to fix it. We'll update this thread when we have more info.
  • How do we complain to Google - this is my dissertation document, and yes it happened a few weeks ago and is happening again after I accepted the Zotero update this weekend. I have a deadline and need this fixed.
  • edited November 7, 2023
    @erika.ireland: It has nothing to do with a Zotero update. It's entirely a server-side issue on Google's end that affects any version of Zotero as well as other tools. They're aware of the issue, and all we can do is wait for them to fix it.
  • Everything seems fine now.
  • Yes, it looks like this was fixed sometime yesterday. (As before, Google has yet to acknowledge the problem, but error rates appear to have dropped to normal levels.)