Suggestion :)

I would like to make a suggestion here, I hope this is the right place.
A friend of mine a professional panflautist (Andreea Chira) is getting more and more sheet music and compositions from composers, musicians and fellow teachers. She would really need something to organize this.

After all, Zotero can already integrate videos and sound recordings - why not sheet music too?

It would need to add the main category "sheet music" first, plus maybe fields like:
- category (symphony, quartet, song,...),
- type of sheet music (single voice, score, piano reduction,..),
- number of movements,
- instruments (piano, orchestra, quartet, piano & soprano,...),
- genre (classical, pop, rock, film, ...)
maybe you should ask other music teachers and musicians for suggestions, who already dealt with these problems.

Much of what Zotero already offers (author, page number, year of origin, rights, publisher,...) would also be valid here.

I mean, this would be a useful extension of a great concept, for which actually almost everything is already prepared.
  • A “musical_score” item type is in CSL and will likely be added to Zotero 6. You can already specify an item to be that type by entering this in the Extra field:
    Type: musical_score
  • I heartily concur. We historians and musicologists are forever doing work arounds for pieces of music! Please ADD to source types!!
  • When will Zotero 6 be released approximately?
  • I don't think you'll get a reliable ETA for that. Structurally all parts are in place, so could well be this year, but there's also still a good amount of work to do on the item types so may also take much longer.
  • Hello - I love Zotero! On the subject of music, I would really appreciate the addition of an item type of "song" (and perhaps also "track" for music without lyrics).

I have a reasonable workaround but would appreciate knowing if there's a better one. Right now I choose "encyclopedia article" and add [song] to the title... then I only need to change "in" to "on" in the final bibliography and hope to remember to do that again if for any reason I have to rebuild the bibliography.

So, for example, here is the APA7 bibliography entry generated using "Mercy street [song] as an encyclopedia article type entry (though it doesn't show up in this post, the album So is correctly auto-italicized): Gabriel, P. (1986). Mercy street [song]. In So. Charisma Records.
  • I think the default option would be to use audio-recording (the corresponding item type is actually -- somewhat problematically -- called song in the citation style syntax, and add "song" as medium.