Chicago style numbering problems

I apologize if this has already been discussed on the forum, but my search did not produce an answer. I'm preparing an article for a journal that uses Chicago 16.

Prior to this, I installed 3 versions of 17. Author-date, full note, and note. Today, I installed 16 note but I have also tried the alternate versions of 17.

Problem 1 of 3: in-text citations
The in-text citations should be numbered. The note version of 16 appears to solve this problem but not the 2 remaining problems.

Problem 2 of 3: bibliography at end of article
The bibliography should be numbered but isn't using 16 note. There are footnotes (which I don't need) in numbered order. There is an option for switching to endnotes, but this changes my footnotes to roman numerals.

Problem 3 of 3: citing an article more than once
Maybe this is just my unfamiliarity with the style. I expect the bibliography to list every article once. If I cite article 1 multiple times, I expect my in-text citations to use the number 1 every time. Currently, additional citations get a new number.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • I should have mentioned that I'm writing my article in Word and using the Zotero plugin.
  • What journal? It doesn't sound like what you're describing actually is Chicago Manual (which uses footnotes/endnotes and a non-numbered bibliography).

But if you are talking about Chicago,
    1. The note/full note styles use footnotes or endnotes which are numbered. author-date citations are never numbered.
    2. You can switch endnotes from roman to arabic numbers in Word's footnote settings (easy to google if you can't figure it out -- it's completely independent of Zotero)
    3. Note styles like Chicago do indeed have a new, sequential number for every note/citation. There are other styles (e.g. Vancouver, IEEE, or Nature) that work the way you describe with a numeric bibliography.
  • Problem 1: The author-date style will not produce numbers, so that's the wrong one.
    When you use a note/endnote style with Zotero and click add/edit citation all Zotero does is tell Word "Please insert a footnote for me here, please". So the numbers are generated via Word.

Problem 2:
    Now that you know that the numbers are dealth with by Word you could change the Word style (different to citation style) accordingly to reflect what you need.

Problem 3:
    Endnotes are like footnotes, but just bunches them all together at the end, hence its name. So if you want to make a reference to the same number you can use Word's own cross-referencing function.

---

You might actually want to look at numeric styles if you're not adding a bunch of information to your notes. In numeric styles like IEEE or Nature the numbers are indeed then generated by Zotero. Hope this helps. :)

• Thank you both. Both your comments were helpful.

The possibility that the journal (College & Research Libraries) was not using a true Chicago style had occurred to me and I think that's the case.

Short-term, I'm going to use IEEE so that I can write the article.

Once the article is done (hopefully by the end of the month, but who knows?), I'll re-read these messages and try to solve the long-term issue. I'm not certain how the journal treats multiple citations to the same article. Because the bibliography is numbered, I predict that C&RL works like IEEE. But maybe not.

I'll post the end result when I get there.

Both your comments allow me to free my mind to think about the article itself. Thanks again!
  • Ah, if this is for a specific journal get me the ISSNs and a link to the citation guidelines and a public paper. Then I can make a custom style.
  • C&RL uses Chicago Manual style with ibid and set to endnotes:
    https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:chicago-fullnote-bibliography-with-ibid
  • Again, thank you both. I believe all the problems have been solved by following your advice, but I'm going to put off a thorough check until after I've finished the article. Thanks again!
  • We have created a dependent style for C&RL which points at the above Chicago style now.

https://www.zotero.org/styles?q=id:college-and-research-libraries
  • That's great, but I'm not sure it's working. The bibliography should be numbered. Looks right when I follow the advice above but when I use the new dependent style, the end notes switch to alphabetical. Sample article: https://crl.acrl.org/index.php/crl/article/view/24829/32666
  • As we say above, you can switch endnotes from roman to arabic numerals in Word; that's not Zotero related.