Word(Mac) crashes with 16.48 update

Hello, i have a problem. Zotero and Word worked for me flawlessly all the time, but i think today after microsoft auto updated the software to 16.48 word crashes 9 times out of 10 when i add a citation. Im in the middle of writing a paper and i dont know what to do. Anybody else has the same problem?

I turned off Auto Update for Word now, but i dont know how i could go to an older app version for word. I think im stuck for now and microsoft usually updates their software every month. What a bad idea it was to have auto update turned on. never change a winning system....

Zotero says i have this version of the app: 5.0.97-beta.16+128ed5e4c

Strangely it appears not everytime. I tried it about 10 times after the same sentence and it always crashed. Then i tried to add a random citation in the beginning of the text and it worked. Then randomly it worked where i tried 10 times before, but then it crashes again. Its completely unreliable now. Has anybody an idea what i could do?
  • Is this a M1 Mac or an older one? Could you produce a Debug ID from Zotero for a crashing operation?
  • It is an Intel Mac from 2018. Its a 2,6 Ghz six Core Intel Processor, but that all does not matter, because i found out that it only appeared in my one long document.

For now i found a solution for myself. I just opened a new document and there it works every time to put a citation. Now i just copy the citation from the fresh document to the old long one and it works. Not as convenient but it works.

So this is probably some strange bug with my specific word document and not a problem with Zotero. Thanks for the help anyway and thanks for the amazing zotero app!
  • Okay, immediately after i wrote that i tried to edit a citation and it crashed again. Thats a huge problem because i will have to change a lot of citations. So i made a debug ID and sent it.

The number is: D1277099940
  • Do you get a crash report from macOS? Could you save it and send it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • edited April 14, 2021
    I always get a crash report from word. Is that also good?

Anyway i just sent the crash report. Thanks for the help!
  • edited April 14, 2021
    Okay, now i found out about something. At the end of document i added the bibliography. There were only 10 things or something, but i just deleted the bibliography at the end and then it works. No crashes anymore, and i can edit the citations.

Then i tried to add the bibliography again, but then the crashes appear again also. So i could add the whole bibliography just at the end of my work process and it should work? Or am i supposed to do that anyway?

Something other i noticed. Everytime i add a citation my document jumps down to chapter 7(which was bibliography) and then it crashes. Now i deleted the bibliography, but word still jumps down a few pages after i add a citation(but not the chapter 7 far)

Sorry..english is not my native language...hope it is still understandable.
  • We'll try to fix this, but it if it stops the document from crashing without the bibliography then you can do that for now. You could also follow debugging broken documents, particularly the step 10 and if you can isolate a part of the document that crashes consistently send it to support@zotero.org. Make sure to mark the spot where inserting a citation (or which citation edit) makes Word crash.
  • Judging by the crash log if you have tables in this document it might have something to do with that. It certainly appears to be a bug in Word so you should report this to Microsoft if possible.
  • Thank you very much for your help!

For now it seems to work. Actually i dont have tables in my word document, but some pictures. Maybe i delete them also for now.

I tried to to get help from microsoft support, but the thing is the university pays for our office suite and when i log in to the microsoft support, an error message occurs. I think it is because im not "the" university and therefore have not the right to get help.

But i also thought that it is a word problem since it started with the 16.48 update from word.

Thank you also for the "debugging broken documents" link. I will look into that. Have a good day!