Zotero for iOS Beta

• @dietmarw I can open shared PDFs but I can't annotate them.
  • @fmuro Yes now that I've tested it again, opening shared PDFs works. It would be nice if the PDF viewer would remember the light/darg mode setting. Mine went's back to automatic with every new PDF I'm opening.
  • Thank you! You guys are great!!! I got the email!!
    1. When using in horizontal mode, I open a new zotero window to write note for the paper, the note window isn't full screen ?
    2. Will the note taking will support markdown?
  • Great news. Thank you!
  • Is there is list of roadmap features for the beta - or should we just throw questions in here and they will be triaged? For instance:

Setting the PDF view to dark/light seems not to be a global setting, or is reverts back to either dark/light with no clear way to set the default.
  • edited March 16, 2021
    Setting the PDF view to dark/light seems not to be a global setting, or is reverts back to either dark/light with no clear way to set the default.
    @dkiesow: This will be fixed.
  • edited March 16, 2021
    @dstillman Thanks. Using the beta on iPhone and iPad and generally speaking - amazing so far. Just works, syncs seamlessly, annotating is easy. An significant improvement over PaperShip which was not bad when it was fully supported.

The share tool is great - that has always been a pain on iOS. But it seems like not all of the translators are working yet? And I get the parent record and the PDF pulled, but the PDF is corrupted.
  • edited March 16, 2021
    @dkiesow: Can you start a new thread with some specific URLs that aren't working?
  • Hi @dstillman

I am not on beta testing program.
    In the app do we have option of "selective sync", as I am planning for unlimited plan and I don't want to fill storage of my IPad with the entire library at once, but only the ones I need for reading.

Thanks.
  • In the app do we have option of "selective sync", as I am planning for unlimited plan and I don't want to fill storage of my IPad with the entire library at once
    @pkd2989: Yes, the iOS app downloads files on-demand by default. (It currently doesn't even have the option of downloading all files at sync time, though we'll be adding that in a future version.)
  • I have found a problem with the RIS files in Zotero for IOS. When you try to share, Zotero appears in the list of supported programs. But the only thing it does is copy the RIS file to Zotero without extracting its information.
  • Still loving the ipad version. Even as is, it's a gamechanger! Kudos.

I appreciate that file syncing using webdav isn't available yet, but it might be nice to handle an attempt to open a PDF attachment with a "this function not yet available" rather than an outright crash!
  • Thank you for the iOS Beta, this is a game changer for me. One feature I really like is being able to highlight text and select 'Speak' as it might be a way for those with sensitive vision or who are partially-sighted to listen to PDFs rather than read them. Would you consider developing a play/pause button for this?

Really like the option of dark mode too.
  • Thanks! Looks and feels great!

I cannot open my linked files (Zotfile, Dropbox). Zotero tells me file is not Pdf or corrupted.

I only found this unanswered question on that issue (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/86325/linked-files-on-the-upcoming-zotero-for-ipad#latest)

If already answered in this thread, my apologies.
  • I cannot open my linked files (Zotfile, Dropbox). Zotero tells me file is not Pdf or corrupted.
    @PHollenstein: Those aren't meant to be tappable at all — we'll fix that. Linked files aren't supported.
  • Please add me to the iOS Beta. Thank you.
  • Dear developers, thanks for this great work. It looks very promising :)

Please support WebDAV as the Zetore desktop version does. Thanks!
  • This is a great step forward. My biggest complaint of the current functionality of the app is that it doesn't let you read and annotate PDFs that are stored in a folder (and not in Zotero). The lack of this feature is definitely a big issue for me and I guess for many people. I stored PDFs on a cloud folder to read them when I'm on the go, but Zotero won't let me do that right now.
  • @eurunuela I think that this app doesn't intend to be a general purpose PDF reader. I wouldn't expect otherwise. Just use a dedicated reading app for PDFs which are not in Zotrero.
  • Thank you very much for the work done so far. I am really excited. I have not been able to find the feature where you can automatically add a new entry with an ISBN, DOI etc. Is it already implemented in the current beta version or will it come in the future?
  • edited March 18, 2021
    @lewoe: Not yet implemented, but planned. For now, you can save to the app from the browser Share button or, if you really want to save based on just an identifier, use the save page.
  • @fmuro of course. I didn't mean Zotero should be a general-purpose PDF reader. What I meant is many researchers don't store the PDF in Zotero, but rather have them linked to a folder in the cloud (possibly with Zotfile). These papers do not appear on the app and I believe this is a bummer and a reason for many not to use the app. If I remember correctly, the Mendeley app does sync those papers that are not stored in Mendeley but are in a cloud folder.
  • Hi all, the app looks amazing—great work.

I have noticed that, in the current version, nested folders do not load. btw, is this the right place to post information about the app development?
  • @mningl:
    I have noticed that, in the current version, nested folders do not load.
    There's an arrow at the right edge of parent collections that will expand them to show child collections. (The design for that will be changing a bit in future versions.)
    is this the right place to post information about the app development?
    General comments are fine here, but best to start new threads for new issues.
  • @dstillman Regarding my previous post and your request (https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/377827/#Comment_377827) the issue is resolved with the latest beta update.
  • edited March 18, 2021
    I have noticed that there is no way to add text in the “Abstract” field directly by clicking on the empty space when modifying the metadata. The only way that worked with me is to click on the field of “Extra” then pressing tab to move to “Abstract”.
  • edited March 18, 2021
    I am enjoying the beta so far. I saw above that you will probably add support for tags. I would definitely like to see this added for being able to filter docs by tag(s).
  • Overall, I’m very impressed with the app! It’s very snappy and quite well thought out.

The only complaint I have is that you can’t save an annotated pdf into an existing entry using share. Share only lets you select the folders, not individual entries. You have to save the file to ‘files’, then manually add it as an attachment in the entry.

It’d be nice if I could just export the pdf to notability, annotate it, then share it back to Zotero and it’d be attached to the existing entry as an annotation. No idea how it would be implemented though.
  • The only complaint I have is that you can’t save an annotated pdf into an existing entry using share.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean here. The iOS app has annotation built in — it's just not enabled for group libraries yet. You shouldn't be exporting to another app to annotate.

As for files on your device that you share to Zotero, I don't believe it's currently possible to move a standalone PDF under another item, but that should be possible in a future version.
This discussion has been closed.