Zotero for iOS Beta

• @dstillman: Great to hear. Can you please include a post/Tweet on that particular update so I know when to check in on things again?
  • edited March 12, 2021
    Thanks for making the app!

Is there support for linked files (like dropbox and zotfile) planned in the future development? Even after initial public release ?

EDIT:It seems you will be flooded with such questions now (I saw this post after I commented here)
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/88302/feature-request-ios-zotero-beta-workflow-for-pdfs-on-cloud-storage-and-linked-via-zotfile#latest
    https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/86325/linked-files-on-the-upcoming-zotero-for-ipad#latest
  • Question: Are import translators in the plans? An extended version of the BookMarklet? Or will this be a much more closely integrated iPad / desktop and improved Zotero/PaperShip-like system?
  • @DWL-SDCA:
    - Save high-quality metadata and PDFs from the web to Zotero via the Share button in Safari
  • Firstly, I too am excited to get started with the ipad beta. Thanks for making that happen. However, like @internationaled the first thing I was looking for was how to get at my files via webdav. It's hard to test the functionality (except as a toy ) without that, since any new files I find and load on the ipad, I have to somehow find again and load on my desktop (and reading ... finding .. .reading ... finding ... is what I wnt to do on my ipad).

That'd be ok for now, except there's no easy way of finding "all the things I've added today, or yesterday" ... it'd be nice to be able to have a smart search option like the recent one , which is always "today" and/or "yesterday" ... I haven't worked out how to do that cleanly (obviously I can manually enter the date, but it's my guilty secret that I never know today's date).

All that said, I'll be playing with it over the next few days.
  • @b.n.lawrence to find "all the things I've added today, or yesterday" you can sort by date added, descending
  • Thank you and great job to the dev team! Just started testing the beta. One feature I think is missing is the ability to save content in one of the iOS browsers and add it as an item in the Zotero app (i.e. Zotero Connector).
  • @01baftb I think you can do this using the share to option ...

@eralzlogo Thanks. Sometimes the obvious things are not obvious.
  • @b.n.lawrence I do not see Zotero available in Share to options menu.
  • @01baftb: Can you take a screenshot of what you're referring to, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox or Google Drive), and provide a link here?
  • I signed up as a beta tester and received an email from "TestFlight" with a no-reply Apple email address. Is this the real deal / is it safe to click through?
  • edited March 15, 2021
    Sarah: Yes. TestFlight is Apple's system for beta apps on iOS.
  • I can't annotate PDFs in a group library. I'm not the owner, BTW, but the owner would be very happy we can all annotate.

I'm also affected by the no-webdav issue. I'd love to support Zotero by subscribing, but I use it for work so I'd like to pay from my grant. As strange as it might seem, I'm not allowed to contract online storage. I contacted storage@zotero.org in case you can charge me for the software. It's all about the billing.
  • @fmuro:
    - Annotate PDFs with highlight, note, and image annotations (currently available in My Library only)
  • Forgot to say, I'd also like to see apple pencil support :)
  • I'd also like to see apple pencil support
    @fmuro: What specifically do you mean by that?
  • @dstillman ooops, my fault for not reading well the logs.
  • @dstillman handwriting with the pencil, like in Goodnotes, etc.
  • Still not receive the beta version email, sad
  • Is the iOS version also open source. If so, are you accepting contributors?

Looks and works pretty well so far. I have a big library and the sync was reasonably quick. I can’t access PDFs yet, but that may be a function of how my own library syncing is set up.

So glad to have this and to participate in the beta.
  • Is the iOS version also open source. If so, are you accepting contributors?
    Yes, we'll be making the repo public within the next few days.
  • Thank you very much for the great work you are doing with such app.
    I'll wait for the WebDAV support for having the possibility to fully test the app (I have all the papers there).

Thanks again
  • edited March 15, 2021
    I was checking Zotero’s iOS beta app on my iPad for the last 30 min., and overall it’s really well made, clean, user-friendly and it takes full advantage of iOS touch screen potentiality. So it is certainly worth the wait, it already seems quite stable even at this early stage, so thanks a lot for your great work. I have some early observations to share:

1. I am saving my attachements through a WebDav connected to my university’s account, and it seems that WebDav is not yet supported in the app (only Zotero storage), so unfortunately I was unable to check the new built-in pdf reader and its note-taking functionality.

2. I was unable to find the option to relate documents together inside the app, is this option available somewhere, or not yet?

3. Zotero’s sharing icon in safari is really great and does the job perfectly (this alone is a gift), I would only love to be able to rename the title and to add tags (edit: directly from the connector).

I will keep using the app, and I might come back with more detailed feedback about my experience.
  • Thanks for the beta invitation! Overall it is pretty good (better than papership I think), but I would like to make some suggestions if possible:

1. The current PDF view settings are set by default and there isn't an option to change that. I personally like (light + vertical + continuous scrolling) and I would like to permanently change to that in the settings if possible.

2. I wonder if it is also possible to include PDF annotations available (free writing on the margin etc)?

Again, thanks for developing the official iOS app and I like it a lot!!
  • @Wael00:
    it seems that WebDav is not yet supported in the app
    Correct, but we're planning to add support for it.
    2. I was unable to find the option to relate documents together inside the app, is this option available somewhere, or not yet?
    No, Related Items functionality isn't currently available.
    I would only love to be able to rename the title and to add tags (edit: directly from the connector)
    I don't think we'd add title editing but we'll probably support adding tags, similar to the desktop Zotero Connector.

@mark-fangzhou-xie:
    1. The current PDF view settings are set by default and there isn't an option to change that.
    We'll fix that.
    2. I wonder if it is also possible to include PDF annotations available (free writing on the margin etc)?
    To be clear, it already supports highlight, note, and image annotations (currently available in My Library only). Inking is not currently supported.
  • Just want to say two things:
    1) Thank you!
    2) WebDav please!
  • I just tested the iOS app but it looks like none of the PDFs can be opened. So I can not check if annotations made on the new beta desktop add actually appear. I wonder if there are some access options that need to get activated.

One other issues is (which I reported via the crash report, though not sure if that reaches you correctly) that when a shared group is removed (via webinterface) then the iOS app asks if you want to keep a local copy or remove it. Choosing "remove" makes the iOS crash immediatly. Only option to keep using it is to select "keep".
  • @dietmarw Do you maybe sync with webdav? I've had no problems to open PDFs stored in Zotero servers.
  • Yes, silly me. I forgot that my PDFs get synced via webdav. The group items are on Zotero but I understand that is neither supported yet. I'll just wait for a new version to test it once it is supported then :-)
This discussion has been closed.