iOS app: Collapse collections

I’m loving the iOS app on my iPhone. One annoyance is that it’s not possible to collapse collections. I have a lot of collections in My Library, and they are nested to aid navigation. I was wondering whether collapsing collections could be added similar to the desktop app or Web Library?
  • I concur. Even a file structure system such as that offered via the web library, where the folder icon indicates a nested structure would be an improvement (I prefer the idea of being able to expand/collapse the nested folders, but that is my personal preference.
  • We'll see what we can do here. The current approach is basically the same as the folder view in Mail, but many people likely do have many more deeply nested Zotero collections than mail folders.
    Even a file structure system such as that offered via the web library, where the folder icon indicates a nested structure would be an improvement
    @rcgeiger: Not sure what you mean by that. Subcollections are indented.
  • On my iPad, the folder icons are different if they have nested folders inside of them or not. Selecting a folder with a nested folder dives into the first level of that folder, where individual documents or additional folders might be present. Again, hoping you can see the Dropbox link as I'm not sure I'm describing this that well:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3sgwdzu5097346/Untitled.pdf?dl=0

In the image, the folder labeled Acetylation contains nested folders inside of it. The folder labeled Biology does not.
  • Oh, you mean on the iPad version of the web library — got it.
  • Similarly, in the Safari Connector collection/library interface, some more distinction between libraries and possibility of collapsing collections would be good
  • I just got the iOS app working on my iPad and logged on to support this request 100%. I have MANY folder trees. As long as I cannot collapse the folder view in the iOS app, the zotero app will be very difficult to use.

(NB. I am close to 10K entries in my zotero library, which perhaps helps explain why I need these folders. Without hierarchical folders I cannot really keep track...)
  • Wow... that's quick... update 91 posted just now, with initial support for collapsing collections! Awesome!
  • edited March 15, 2021
    Yes, we've just pushed a new build with support for this. We'll be refining the implementation over upcoming builds.
  • Great to have this feature

Tried collapsing collections during initial sync, reliability leads to crash

J
  • Tried collapsing collections during initial sync, reliability leads to crash
    Yeah, we noticed that, sorry. We'll have a fix in the next build.
  • Expanding or collapsing folders during sync leads to crash. If I interrupt sync by switching off network connections, expanding and collapsing works fine. Once syncing resumes, expanding and collapsing leads to crash
  • @dstillman I also had a crash during initial sync when I tried to add an annotation.

Would it be possible to add collapsing to the Safari Share sheet saving? And start with libraries collapsed?
  • Thanks, Dan

Related feature request: can the collapse/ expand feature also be integrated into the import dialogue? (In case it’s not clear what I mean: the window that I am shown when I want to share a pdf with the zotero app)

Cheers
    J
  • I just got the iOS app working on my iPad and logged on to support this request 100%. I have MANY folder trees. As long as I cannot collapse the folder view in the iOS app, the zotero app will be very difficult to use.
  • @goelankush1: As noted above, a build is already available that allows expanding and collapsing collections.
  • @bwiernik, @jhimmelreich: Yes, we'll add support for expanding and collapsing collections in the share extension.
  • Hi Dan,

Has this been added? (asking because not sure if I failed to collapse/expand or if its not a feature yet)

thanks
    J
  • Not in the share sheet yet, just in the app.
  • @jhimmelreich: Actually, we implemented this in the share sheet back in March, but I'm not seeing it in current builds. We'll look into it.