Referencing Videos

Just a quick questions for anyone viewing.

It's becoming more popular to review videos via youtube and/or media organisations during Uni assessments. Some of these videos are like an hour long.

I am curious if any of the standards (Harvard / APA etc ) have in place proper referencing guidelines for video quoting. The minute mark would replace a page number. We have had lecturers provide "soft" guidelines for individual assessments, but this has caused me some zotero problems. For example; a review of a panel discussion via recorded video, smith said something of note at 15:15 minutes and Jones said something of note at 22:30 mark and the entire video is by ABC production, hosted by John White, titled "the end of the world". I've realised in Zotero i had to make 2 entries for this, one for smith one for jones, and 'diddle' the page number to reflect video time mark - and then because of the individual speaker quotes, Ive had to revert these to "books" give them author status. So 2 snippets get 4 entries in zotero. In a recent review i collected 6 snippets that i wished to reference.

It wasn't impossible, but is there, should there, be a better way?

I hope all this makes sense, kind regards, Dave
  • You should enter videos as a Video Recording item in Zotero. You can enter timestamps in the suffix field in the Zotero citation window. A future version of Zotero will have time stamp as a option in the page dropdown selector, but suffix works fine for now.
  • This still leaves me with the issue for referencing different speakers in the video. I can reference the whole thing and I can use the suffix feature, but I can't add separate speakers; ie John said this or Jack said that.

But then again I don't know how it would be done with pen and paper. Maybe there is a gap..technology gap in the referencing standards that doesn't address videos enough.

thanks for the advice
  • How do I enter a speaker or presenter for a Ted Talk video, not a director? I'm using the Video Recording item but don't have an option for speaker or presenter.
  • How do you want to have the citation look and how does it look now?
    The CSL variable author is mapped to "Director". So, I'd use that though.
  • As far as i understand if you choose 'item_type' = "video_recording", then you also have a dropdown list to choose from starting with director/cast_member/contributor/producer/scriptwriter.
    If you wanted to go bananas about this, drop the director, but put in your speaker as a contributor, and TedTalk or TedX (or whatever) as the producer - they will get proper attribution, the contributor is attributed - is everyone happy?
    Present this citation and reference to your uni lecturer/coordinator/supervisor for vetting (ie, before you use it for assignment/dissertation etc), but this is probably a good way to address this issue.
    hope that helps
  • This is a pretty extensive discussion, but the bibliographical reference from Zotero for a TED Talk video does not meet APA 7th standards. Zotero has a director/cast/contributor/producer/scriptwriter drop-down but needs an author who appears without the "author" title in the reference. When pasting the bibliography, it's adding (Director), which is not part of the APA 7th standard for a TEDTalk. Could you fix this?

INCORRECT Example: Crenshaw, K. (Director). (2016, October). The urgency of intersectionality [Video]. TED Conferences. https://www.ted.com/talks/kimberle_crenshaw_the_urgency_of_intersectionality

Example from apa.org for TEDTalk from TEDTalk website:

Cuddy, A. (2012, June). Your body language may shape who you are [Video]. TED Conferences. https://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_may_shape_who_you_are

Parenthetical citation: (Cuddy, 2012)
    Narrative citation: Cuddy (2012)

Example from apa.org for TEDTalk via another platform:

TED. (2019, November 13). The danger of AI is weirder than you think | Janelle Shane [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhCzX0iLnOc

Parenthetical citation: (TED, 2019)
    Narrative citation: TED (2019)
  • The behavior of the director field in Zotero changed, so the current sample/advice for APA doesn't work anymore. you want

author: TED
    or
    autor: Cuddy||Amy

in the Extra field. The rest should work. There are some discussion about adding another type to the creator options in Zotero -- might literally be "creator" (author seems awkward)