Updating styles

Who or where do we notify the authors of styles to be updated?

My Uni is using a Harvard template from 2019 - a couple of things have changed. I'm aware I can edit this manually thru style editor, but probably would be best if the central style was updated.

For the moment I am using a different uni's Harvard referencing, which is sufficient for now, although I really like the option of using my own uni's referencing style.

thanks, Dave

PS: love love the PDF viewer editor, annotator in the beta version. This was on my Christmas list TBH, now I don't have switch from zotero to adobe and back again. Also very well done on the annotator - I can highlight and make notes of where and when I want to use referencing or quotes during my research, BRILLIANT!!
  • edited March 8, 2021
    You're in the right spot.

But you'd need to tell us which style, what the changes are and link to the guidelines stating those changes.

Also, you can submit your changes to the official repository. Then, if merged, everyone will get the updated style. I invite you to try. :)
  • Style: University of Tasmania - Harvard

...yes it's picky but double versus single inverted commas.

I can't open it up on the style editor either, which is a bit odd. Perhaps my style has become corrupted?

I will copy and paste the reference using Uni of Tasmania and Latrobe Uni, both Harvard to illustrate the difference. (and now I have done that, unsure if the full first name or initial is the right one or if it matters)

UTAS:
    Cairnduff, A, Fawcett, K, & Roxburgh, N 2018,“Young Australians and the disrupted economy,” in A Stewart, J Stanford, & T Hardy (eds.), The Wages Crisis in Australia : What it is and what to do about it, University of Adelaide Press, pp.251–262.

LATROBE:
    Cairnduff, A, Fawcett, K & Roxburgh, N 2018, 'Young Australians and the disrupted economy', in Andrew Stewart, Jim Stanford, & Tess Hardy (eds), The Wages Crisis in Australia : What It Is and What to Do about It, University of Adelaide Press, pp. 251–262.

So, apparently the "Young Australians..." should read 'Young Australians...'

hopefully that makes sense
    cheers, Dave
  • Oh forgot, how would i submit to the repository?
    Dave
  • edited March 28, 2021
    What happens if I edit and save an existing style in Visual CSL editor? Does the existing version gets overwritten? Does it create a duplicate? How can these changes be incorporated into the GitHub collection?

The intention is to correct errors in the existing style.

Thanks
  • Whatever you do in the visual editor is just local to you; it has no impact on other people (it'd be terrifying if it did, frankly).

You'd have to download the style and submit it to the style repository as per the link damnation posted above.
  • Indeed. Got it. I think I made more of changes but I am not sure if I did it in the right places. I might start a new thread to ask.
  • edited March 28, 2021
    No, don't make a new thread please. Keep the information in one place.

Didn't read the old replies. In this case, as it's a different style etc. a new thread (or if there is an old thread regarding errors to this style is better)

• Oh, already made one.

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/88687/environmental-values-journal-style-update-fix#latest

The new one is specific to one style. General questions can persist here. Happy to merge all here if you think it is better.
  • hi everyone - in response to 'damnation' 8-Mar

the "official" guide (for my uni): https://utas.libguides.com/ld.php?content_id=26017418

the style I would like to use "University of Tasmania - Harvard"
    Currently using the style "Cite them right 10th edition" which so far is correct

3 issues (I have copy/pasted from example guide where possible);

#1 I can't edit the style "University of Tasmania - Harvard"
    #2 Journal Article – three authors intext should read: (Coppell, Brown & Perry, 2003) NOT (Coppell et al, 2003)
    #3 Journal Article – three authors reference should read: Coppell, JA, Brown, SA & Perry, DJ 2003, 'Veno-occlusive disease: cytokines, genetics and haemostasis', Blood
    Reviews, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 63-70. NOT(note the double quotes) Coppell, JA, Brown, SA & Perry, DJ 2003, "Veno-occlusive disease: cytokines, genetics and hemostasis", Blood Reviews, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 63-70

Thanks everyone. let me know if you need more info :)
  • further to my comment/request above.
    thank you to Zephyr @ utas for a renewed document

I have managed to get into style editor with a new style "University of Tasmania - Simplified author-date" Although I can edit this does not change the style I'm using - presumably it's only editing for saving for submission.

So I have a couple of requests instead. I use notepad++ so I have line numbers
    1. line 133, please change et-al-min="3" to et-al-min="4"
    2. line 151, please change et-al-min="3" to et-al-min="99" or unlimited
    3. line 151, please change hanging-indent="true" to hanging-indent="false"
    4. Seem to have lost the "issue number from the volume when referencing journals
    5. line 101, please change to
    6. Please insert after line the (would be line 101) the following

7. would be nice to have the 12 point spacing between bibliography entries - but don't know which line to address there
    8. The double quotes in bibliography has been fixed to single quotations - thanks (and so please ignore #3 previous post)

Im still referencing the UTSA Harvard PDF I linked in previous document
    Thanks
  • edited April 13, 2021
    Hi,

First of all, you can edit posts here (hover over post, see the little wheel top right corner). ;)

#1: You cannot edit the UTas style we have as it is just a dependent style pointing at the "Style Manual - Australian Government (author-date)" style.

Could you please check if this style is in line with the changes you're requesting above? If not we would then need to make a separate, independent style for UTas Harvard and adapt regarding the changes you requested.

https://www.stylemanual.gov.au/style-rules-and-conventions/referencing-and-attribution/author-date
  • Thanks Damnation, never knew that link existed, learning things every day.

Having a quick 10minute read over the link you provided, it appears quick answer is no. It does not match the uni provided guide (and the guide might be out of date, but its what the uni marks the students on; adherence to referencing format). So 1 example is that citing multiple authors over 3 get assigned et al, where in the UTAS guide it is authors 4 and over for in-cite only and no et al in the bibliography section

Im not overly concerned with handing indents, I can fix that but would be nice if the minimum multiple author in in-text was 4 and infinite in bibliography

Im only using UTAS - simplified author-date because UTAS - Harvard seems to be broken. i tried deleting and reapplying. the UTAS - Harvard is perfect except for the et al issue and the double quotes versus single quotes in the bibliography.
    And just discovered cant use UTAS-simplified-author-date because there's an error in the volume/issue/page variable allocation in the bibliography. So I'm back to using Latrobe Uni style, then I can correct the bibliography format in the document.

gee, I hope that makes sense :)