Report ID: 942673835 - Zotero opening as a fresh install each time / Word integration

Hi there,

Each time I open Zotero on my work computer (iMac 21.5-inch, 2017 using Catalina v10.15.7) it behaves as if it is a new installation. I get the notification that the Word plugin has been successfully installed but Word needs to be restarted - even though the plugin has been working fine. I have saved my pdf attachments in OneDrive, so each time I open Zotero have to re-enter linked attachment base directory.

I have reviewed the forum for potential resolution, in particular, https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/67811/zotero-opens-like-a-new-install-every-time and I have tried manually installing the Word plugin (https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_manual_installation#locating_your_word_startup_folder) but that didn't fix it.

Thank you for your help.

• I should also note that I have double-checked with ICT to ensure there is no security or firewall that would be affecting the installation and they have confirmed there is nothing on their end.
  • This means something on the system — likely security software — is preventing Zotero from saving the prefs.js file in the Zotero profile directory when it closes.
  • edited March 1, 2021
    (Also possible that somehow the permissions on that file became incorrect — say, if you copied it over from another Mac — but that's less likely. You can check with File → Get Info in Finder. Your user account should have read and write privileges to everything in that folder.)
  • Hi @dstillman, thanks for your reply.

I checked the Zotero profile directory before opening Zotero and there was a prefs.js file saved. I also checked it and prefs.js exist after it closes and it was still there.

I also checked that I have read and write privileges for my user profile in the Users folder, and I do. Just checking: is this the folder you were referring to?
  • edited March 8, 2021
    It's not a question of whether it exists — it's whether it's being updated. Based on what you're experiencing, it's not. Check the file timestamp.
    I also checked that I have read and write privileges for my user profile in the Users folder, and I do. Just checking: is this the folder you were referring to?
    Not sure what you mean by "my user profile". I'm talking about the Zotero profile directory, and the prefs.js file specifically.
  • Thanks @dstillman - that's helpful. The pref.js file had not been updated since Oct 2020.

When I checked user permissions for the folder containing the prefs.js I did have read and write access but when I check the prefs.js file itself it says 'everyone' had 'no access'. I changed the user permissions for 'everyone' to 'read only' and I had to add myself specifically as a new user with 'read and write' access and its working now!

Thank you very much for your help.