Zotero Opens Like a New Install Every Time

Hi. Very new to zotero. I have it working on my laptop just fine. However I tried to install it on my desktop computer and it has been very problematic. I’m using Windows 10.

First, I wasn’t able to get it installed completely. I went through the installation and used all the default selections. When it opened zotero at the end, I would get a “Zotero has stopped working” windows system error and the only option was to close the program. But I could see that it was attempting to finish installing files, and that there was a profile not found error.

I tried restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling, and neither of those things helped. I found a discussion here where someone wrote that if you delete the files in AppData\Local\Zotero it wouldn’t generate that error. I did that and zotero finally opened without the error.

Now I am facing some additional problems. I added one file and zotero crashed again. I opened it back up and the “Success! You installed Zotero!” came up again on the webpage. I opened it up, got the success webpage, and tried to add a note to the one file I managed to add; it crashed again. I started it again, got the success webpage, and tried to look at the error log; it crashed again. Now when I open it up it shows the box saying "Installing Windows System Integration" and I get the windows system error of "Zotero has stopped working" in the foreground without being able to click anything other than "close program."

It would seem that there is a file or files not being installed properly but I don’t know how to fix this. As I said before, I've done the uninstall/reinstall, restarted, deleted the appdata file, tried installing 4.0 stand alone (same error). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Most likely security software on your system is preventing Zotero from installing the necessary files (e.g., the Word for Windows integration, which I assume is what you're referring to — there's no "Windows System Integration"). You can try disabling it temporarily or checking its logs to see what exactly it's blocking.

If you want to skip the Word plugin installation, opening the file prefs.js in your Zotero profile directory in Notepad and adding the line pref("extensions.zoteroWinWordIntegration.skipInstallation", true); might work. But you'd then need to install the Word plugin manually, and it's possible other things are being blocked, so it'd be better to figure out what on your system is interfering with this.
  • Hi, it's not an integration. It's the standalone Zotero 5.0 itself.
  • No, I'm referring to what you described as "Installing Windows System Integration" — that's not a message in Zotero. The thing that's installed at startup is the Word for Windows integration plugin.