Synchronisation problem

We have a private group library made of two members, A and B, and we are having a syncing problem or what we think is a syncing problem abot bibliographic references. A is the owner of the group. Yesterday B did the synchronisation and today, after synchronisation, A can not see the bibliographic info modified. The Zotero on the web is running well.
Both A and B are using Zotero last version. As syncing preferences A has checked "sync automatically" B manually, both have checked "sync full-text content" and "sync attachment files in My Library using zotero" and " sync attachment files in group libraries using zotero storage", with all libraries being checked. It is therefore not clear what the issue might be and any help would be appreciated.
Best regards
  • See Changes Not Syncing for steps for troubleshooting this and the info we'd need to debug further.
  • The debug id is D1409428133 . Thank you!
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for Zotero startup through the end of the first auto-sync, using the "Restart with Logging Enabled…" option, without touching anything else in Zotero until the sync finishes?
  • Le Debug ID à poster sur le forum est D1451003286
  • Seems like you may have auto-sync disabled? If so, we'd want the debug output to include a manual sync after Zotero has completely finished loading.
  • There's still no sync there.
  • I did manually sync then I did Debug Output Logging > “Restart with Logging Enabled…” > Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output
  • You need to sync after restarting, when logging is running. See above.
  • D544173437
    I followed the 3 steps
    In the Help menu, go to Debug Output Logging and select Enable, or use “Restart with Logging Enabled…” to generate debug output from Zotero startup. (If you're not able to access the Help menu, see Reporting Startup Errors instead.)
    Immediately perform the relevant action (syncing, saving, importing, etc.) and reproduce the problem you're experiencing.
    Before doing anything else, return to Help → Debug Output Logging and click Submit Output, which will disable logging and submit the output to zotero.org. A window should pop up containing a Debug ID (e.g., “D12345678”). Click “Copy to Clipboard” and paste the Debug ID into your forum thread.
  • edited February 24, 2021
    (You don't need to paste in our own instructions — you just weren't doing what I asked for above, which was to use "Restart with Logging Enabled…" and then sync, not the other way around.)

That seems to show a successful sync of all your libraries, with no errors. Your original Debug ID showed various odd errors. Are you still having trouble?

If so, see the Changes Not Syncing instructions:
    If you're still having trouble, post to the Zotero Forums (in your existing thread, if you have one) with a Debug ID for the first sync after making a change that doesn't sync (e.g., making a change to the online library that doesn't appear in Zotero, or vice versa). Start debug output logging before making the change and keep it going until the sync has ended.
  • Hello there,

I am the second user, and I have done the requested manipulation. My debug ID is 191225498.

Thanks a lot!

Marion
  • That's a Report ID, not a Debug ID.
  • I apologize for the misunderstanding. The debug ID is D1859782615
    Thanks,
    Marion
  • Hello,
    I don't know if you could see my message?
    Thank you,
    Marion
  • edited March 10, 2021
    Sorry for the delay.

File syncing isn't enabled for any of your groups. Check the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Thank you for the information.

I changed those settings and we tried editing a record again to see if it synced correctly on our two local interfaces. And it didn't work again this time.

The problem is specifically on the authors. I wish I could attach screenshots: I change the number of authors on a record, leave one and add "et. al" for the second. I am updating, my colleague is updating as well. The online library synchronizes with mine, but not hers: her record is well modified, with the author at the top and the "et. al" but all the authors below remain as well.

We never see this problem with another field.

We just wish we had some clues as to what could be causing this problem, so that we could do some tests.

Thank you very much,

Marion
  • You can upload screenshots on a free image hosting site (imgur.com, Dropbox, etc.) and link to them here
  • @Zotero_CDF: Sorry, I forgot this was about metadata, not files, so the file syncing part is irrelevant (and you can leave that disabled if you don't want to sync group files on this computer).

But I'm not totally following this, so screenshots would help.

(But are you saying you're manually entering "et al." into an author field? While that should sync fine, that's not something you would want to be doing to your Zotero data — Zotero handles "et al." automatically based on the citation style you're using.)
  • Hello,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vtov6dszmylem24/AAB9ndl1wpxHz5-PFXs2fisja?dl=0

Thank you for your answers. You can see via the link three screenshots: the first one, my Zotero with the modified information as it should appear, the second one is the online Zotero, well synchronized with mine, and the third one, my colleague's Zotero, which synchronizes incompletely.

As you can see, the update is partially done since the modification date of the record is the right one. But the authors deleted in my system remain in my colleague's system under the "al., et".

To answer the last part of your message, we are well aware that "et. al" is a configuration depending on the style chosen; but the problem we encounter is different. This database is used to feed online bibliographies, and the program that exports the records crashes when there are too many authors.

Many thanks