Linking in-text citations to jump to bibliography

Does 'link' citation mean to update the in-text citation along with the bibliography? Not an actual citation hyperlink?

In Google Docs, clicking an in-text citation displays "edit with Zotero" but does not jump or 'link' to bibliography. In Word, clicking the in-text citations doesn't have a pop-up.

Another person working on this document without Zotero said the link prompts to download Zotero, which isn't ideal.

Ultimately, the goal is for the final document to click on the in-text citation, and it jumps to the bibliography.

Is this possible in Zotero? Or do I need to do it manually in Word/Google Docs with bookmarks. Or is there a better way?
  • edited February 13, 2021
    Another person working on this document without Zotero said the link prompts to download Zotero, which isn't ideal.
    That's just a technical limitation of how we need to store citations in Google Docs — they show up as links to zotero.org for people without the Zotero Connector installed. But no one without the Zotero Connector installed should be accessing the document in the first place, because they will break the citations. If you've given document access to people not using the Zotero Connector, that could explain the breakage you were seeing in your other thread (though the most common result is citations being unlinked and turning into flat text).
    Ultimately, the goal is for the final document to click on the in-text citation, and it jumps to the bibliography.
    Automatically linking between the in-text citation and the bibliography is not possible, sorry.
  • When we say "link" for in-text citations, we're talking about links to Zotero which means it'll update with changes in information there. It's not a hyperlink or crosslink of any kind.

It's not possible to automatically cross-link citations to the bibliography in Zotero. There a number of existing threads with various options for Word macros that mostly do this (I say mostly because the way Zotero inserts bibliographies makes this not 100% reliable.).

(The google doc references are links because that's the only way google allows for reference information to be embedded in gdocs. Ideally no one without Zotero should tough those citations as that will, in all likelihood, break them.)
  • @adamsmith @dstillman Thank you both for clarifying! I will look at other threads for 'linking' in-text and bibliography.

p.s. @dstillman, I haven't had any issues with the in-text citation errors after removing the tainted suggested edits. Thank you!