book review format

Some people have asked about a separate item for book reviews. I appreciate the issues involved, but I'm wondering: Has anyone figured out how to make Zotero adhere to the Chicago Manual of Style's instructions for citing book reviews that are not quite journal articles?
  • edited November 7, 2019
    Those instructions:

Author, review of Book Title, by Author of Book, Publication, Date of publication, DOI/URL (if online).

Example

1. Christine M. Kreiser, review of Six Women of Salem: The Untold Story of the Accused and Their Accusers in the Salem Witch Trials, by Marilynne K. Roach, American History, April 2014, http://navigator-ship.passhe.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ahl&AN=94092898&site=ehost-live&scope=site.
  • Is there a solution to the "Book Review" ? It is not an item type, and when I create a journal article with Reviewed Author and author, it only cites the author, who wrote the book but didn't write the review, and I am quoting the review. Is there another way for me to do this?
  • What style are you using?
  • Turabian 8th edition (full note)
  • I don't think we ever built book review into the Turabian style. Use the almost identical Chicago Manual one instead.
  • Thanks for the suggestion. The footnotes are different in Chicago, which uses the name instead of ibid. I also don't see an option for Book reviews
  • The Chicago style is designed to format for book reviews when there is a reviewed author. There is a version of Chicago in the Zotero repository with ibid (but I’d suggest not using ibid and instead following the Chicago format for increased clarity in any event).
  • If there's a Book Review item type in CMS, can it be added to SBL Handbook of Style (which is similar to CMS, but specific to biblical and theological studies)?
  • edited November 16, 2020
    My work-around up to this point: I use the Journal Article item type, I put something other than EN in the language field, and I list the title as:

review of Book Title, by Book Author

I still have to remove manually the quotation marks from the footnote, but everything else formatted correctly.
  • What is the actual required format for book reviews in SBL?

I would really recommend not trying to hack workarounds. The correct way to enter a book review in Zotero is adding a Reviewed Author and/or Reviewed Title. If it isn’t formatting correctly for a specific style, the style can be updated. Chicago and APA, for example, are written to accommodate book reviews.
  • I'm not sure how to add a Reviewed Author or Reviewed Title in Zotero. I assume you're talking about what goes in the "Item Type" field; I don't see Reviewed Author/Title there.

The SBL instructions for an untitled book review (§6.3.4):

first reference in a footnote:
    Howard M. Teeple, review of Introduction to the New Testament, by André Robert and André Feuillet, JBR 34 (1966): 368–70.

subsequent references:
    Teeple, review of Introduction to the New Testament (by Robert and Feuillet), 369.

bibliography:
    Teeple, Howard M. Review of Introduction to the New Testament, by André Robert and André Feuillet. JBR 34 (1966): 368–70.