Slowness in large libraries

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero painfully slow.
  • Hello!

I'm having a similar problem. I gave up using "duplicate items" collection on left panel because it was slow and made Zotero crash down all the time.

Now I'm using right clicking them and merging items directly. That is a little slow but crash only eventualy

I'm trying to clean a group library that started with around 30 000 items and now I reached 20 315 and is still presenting the same problem. I'm not sincronizing so that my collegues don't have Zotero slowed down.

Zotero has a limit to how many references it can manage in group libraries? Or it could be because my data directory is at not in default location? It is on my local hard drive though.

Thank you!
  • There's no limit to library size, but it will be slower with larger libraries. If you've moved items to the trash, you should empty the trash to actually delete those items from your library.

Otherwise, everything I said in the other thread applies.
  • Got it! Thanks, @dstillman !

I usually clean the trash frequently. Now I'm at around 17 000 and is a lot better (Zotero doesn't crash anymore but still freezes somtimes).

The library size is related to all libraries that I have at my zotero (personal and group), is that right?
  • The library size is related to all libraries that I have at my zotero (personal and group), is that right?
    To some extent, but I would expect the size of the library you're working on to be more of a factor for most operations.