Is it possible to add a periodical in Zotero ?

Hello,
I would like to add references of periodicals (revue, journal, magazine) in my bibliography (ie as a whole not only articles) ? Is that even possible in Zotero ? Would it allow issn references ?
Many thanks,
NV
  • planned, not currently possible.
  • edited July 18, 2018
    Hello,
    Is this possible now? Or is there another software that would be recommended for periodicals?
    Thanks
  • Currently it is still not possible. Maybe in planned version 5.1.
  • What style are you using and what are your exact requirements? It might currently be doabale via a workaround.
  • Hi,
    Anyone know if this is possible now or have a way to do this with Zotero?
    Tks
  • @Emanuel
    See Bwiernik's question just above you. More details is ALWAYS more helpful and we can help you faster and better.
  • Hi @damnation
    I work with some articles from different journals, but i want to create a reference of the Journal itself, and relate the correspondent articles. Anyway i need to generate a reference for the journal, além das referências individuais dos artigos.
    I use CSL ABNT.

Thank you..
  • Can you please provide more detail? How do you want such a citation to be formatted exactly?
  • edited September 14, 2020
    @Emanuel , atualmente a ABNT indica a inclusão de uma referência de periódico como livro. E poderia incluir o ISSN como um campo extra.
    Mas essa ideia funcionaria apenas para manter sua biblioteca organizada, pois não sei se algum estilo ABNT disponível atualmente prevê uma citação de periódico.
  • @Emanuel If you answer my questions, I can give you some guidance.
  • edited September 15, 2020
    @bwiernik , if he is talking about ABNT, it should be somethig like this (similar to Book):

REVISTA BRASILEIRA DE GEOGRAFIA. Rio de Janeiro: IBGE, 1939- . ISSN 0034-723X.

Where 1939- --> StartYear-EndYear or just StartYear if it still exists.

And for that last part about StartYear I also would like to know if there is a possibility.
  • Hi @bwiernik and @luisiafalves

Thanks for the answers.

Yes, I am talking about ABNT.
    The solution that I have adopted so far is in fact to register the journal as a book, entering other data in the Extra field.
    This does not solve the automatic generation of the reference, which will be manual, but it allows keeping the library organized by relating the articles to the journal.

The styles that I tested do not really offer the reference of the periodic title, I am manually finalizing and creating a Note for registration with the complete ABNT style reference for future use.

But for organizing the collection within Zotero, this approach works.
  • @Emanuel , we are working in an update of our ABNT style (https://www.zotero.org/styles/associacao-brasileira-de-normas-tecnicas-ufrgs) wich will predict the fields below:

"type": "book",
    "event-place": "London",
    "note": "ISSN: 0065-2490",
    "publisher": "Academic Press",
    "publisher-place": "London",
    "title": "Advances in drug research",
    "issued": {
    "date-parts": [
    [
    "1964"
    ]
    ]

We still have problems with hifen after the year when it is a current journal, but it will work for basic fields...
  • @luisiafalves

Thanks for letting me know, and I'm glad to hear you're working on it.

I installed the CSL that you linked and i will test, if you can update this thread when release the update i think its great.

• @Emanuel , style updated. Give us feedback if it helped.
  • @luisiafalves, thanks for notifying

i try like this
    (ISSN in extra field)
    I try initial year in Extra and Date too (the same result) maybe i filled extra field wrong.

@book{noauthor_perspectivas_1996,
    address = {Belo Horizonte},
    title = {Perspectivas em {Ciência} da {Informação}},
    url = {http://portaldeperiodicos.eci.ufmg.br/index.php/pci},
    language = {pt-BR},
    publisher = {Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais},
    year = {1996},
    note = {ISSN: 0065-2490}
    }

Result:

PERSPECTIVAS EM CIÊNCIA DA INFORMAÇÃO. Belo Horizonte: Universidade Fede-ral de Minas Gerais, 1996. ISSN 0065-2490.E-book.

"Ebook" appear when there's a URL, when i delete, don't show "E-book."
  • For the periodical article, I don't know if a bug or a expected result.
    when i filled the number of pages:

SARACEVIC, Tefko. Ciência da informação: origem, evolução e relações. Perspectivas em Ciência da Informação, Belo Horizonte, v. 1, n. 1, p. 41–62, 2008.

When i empty the number of pages:

SARACEVIC, Tefko. Ciência da informação: origem, evolução e relações. Perspectivas em Ciência da Informação, Belo Horizonte, v. 1, n. 1, 2008. Disponível em: http://portaldeperiodicos.eci.ufmg.br/index.php/pci/article/view/235. Acesso em: 11 out. 2020.

I filled out ISSN, both in the proper field, as in Extra, and did not appear.
    But as it is not mandatory, it is ok for this.

Thank you again!
  • @Emanuel, you did it right. It was me that forgot that for type book with an URL it was supposed to include "E-book". With CSL atualization it will be better because we'll have a specific type for periodical, but I think I'll be able to correct this before that. I'll let you now.

About the article, because it is not mandatory, we didn't include, but it can be easily arranged. I'll see to that.

And for not having pages, it really is something we didn't see. Thanks for reporting!

We use this guide for filling zotero fields: https://www.ufrgs.br/bibliotecas/ferramentas/campos-basicos-abnt-zotero/
  • HI @luisiafalves ,

I will follow the updates of your CSL and include your page in my references, eventually i help someone with Zotero and your page is a really good guide.

thank you for your answer and your work on this!
  • Hi, @luisiafalves

I found that option in Edit > Preferences > Cite > Styles

Citation Options

[ ] Include URLs of paper articles in references

When this option is disabled, Zotero includes URLs when citing journal magazine, and newspaper articles only if the article does not have a page range specified.

I think this resolve that question i mentioned above and you respond "And for not having pages, it really is something we didn't see. Thanks for reporting!"

In the example i used before, the result with your CSL, with Citation Options disabled is:

SARACEVIC, Tefko. Ciência da informação: origem, evolução e relações. Perspectivas em Ciência da Informação, Belo Horizonte, v. 1, n. 1, p. 41–62, 2008.

With Citation Optins enabled, the result is:

SARACEVIC, Tefko. Ciência da informação: origem, evolução e relações. Perspectivas em Ciência da Informação, Belo Horizonte, v. 1, n. 1, p. 41–62, 2008. Disponível em: http://portaldeperiodicos.eci.ufmg.br/index.php/pci/article/view/235. Acesso em: 11 out. 2020.

So, its not a problem with your CSL but a configurable option in Zotero, i think its useful if mentioned in your page of instructions.

Thank you!

• I need an abnt style that gives me the reference like this example: LONDERO, Paola Richter et al. Distorções inflacionárias nas cooperativas. BASE –
    Revista de Administração e Contabilidade da Unisinos, São Leopoldo, v. 15,
    n. 3, p. 161-177, jul./set. 2018. DOI:10.4013/base.2018.153.01. Disponível em:
    http://revistas.unisinos.br/index.php/base/article/view/base.2018.153.01/60746508.
    Acesso em: 20 dez. 2018.

Is there any that appears in the periodical's city?