Can't import ZoteroRDF w/files

Error ID: 1411035583

I'm trying to share one of my collections with another Zotero user in my organization, yet the import function has ceased to work. It continually comes up with an error message that says "An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again." I have also noted that the export time is suspiciously slow; it finishes "exporting" in about 10 seconds for a collection of around 50. I believe my problems started after installing the most recent update, as I have successfully imported collections many times before.

To reproduce the problem, select a collection, right click it, select export collection. Then select the gear and attempt to import. I'm on OS X 10.5.7 and I'm using Zotero 2.0b6.3.
  • It doesn't solve the problem with the import/exporting of RDF, but you might want to look into Zotero Groups, as you're already running the 2.0 beta: http://www.zotero.org/support/groups
  • Could you send an RDF file that fails to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread?
  • It looks like there's an error in 2.0b6.3 when trying to import exported RDF files containing empty notes. This may or may not be the error you're seeing. (There's no error in your error report—did you send it before restarting Firefox?)

There's completely new RDF code in 2.0b6, so there may be a few bugs.
  • An updated RDF translator that fixes the empty note issue is now available. Your copy of Zotero should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Now in the General pane of the Zotero prefs.
  • So I downloaded the new RDF translator and the export aspect of the problem seems to have been solved. Instead of taking 10 seconds to import it takes a few minutes. However, when I tried to import it back into Zotero as a test, the same exact problem occurred. I will send the RDF file to the support address.
  • I have come across a similar problem. When updating my system from 2beta and Firefox 3.5 on Windows Vista to Windows 7, I was unable to import my RDF file. I have tried several combinations of versions of Windows, Firefox, and Zotero - all with no luck. I run across a similar error that suggests my file is invalid. Out of 4,000 some files, it makes it through 7 references. I tried tracking it with a command window open to find the error but received no error message.
    I would be happy to also email my RDF file if that would help.
  • Same error here, version 2.0b6.3. I am exporting from FF3.5 on OS X 10.4 and attempting to import on Windows Vista (FF3.5). I have updated my Zotero translators. I can also email my rdf file if it would help, though at this point it seems there only so many rdf files that remain useful to the support folk.
  • edited July 29, 2009
    Yes, we're aware of the issue importing RDFs with files in 2.0b6.3, and we'll try to have a fix out soon. Thanks.
  • This has been fixed in the latest dev build.
  • Dan -
    I tried updating my zotero build but it looks like I am running the latest build available on the site (2.0b6.3). This version - 2.0b6.3 - still does not import my rdf file.
    Where can I find the latest dev or nightly builds?
  • 2.0b6.4, available now, includes the fix.
  • Dan -
    Thanks so much. Imported perfectly...can't tell you how much I appreciate zotero.
  • Installed 2.0b6.4 today and now RDF files that successfully imported prior to upgrade fail with the enigmatic "An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again." No file attachments for these.
  • paregorios: Can you send an example RDF that fails to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread? (If not, a Report ID would be helpful.)
  • Dan: on its way
  • paregorios: That file imports fine for me. Can you provide a Report ID from after the error?
  • Dan: 1562226321
  • I'm having what seems to be a related problem. I'm running version 2.0b6.4 and I'm trying to import a collection exported as an RDF file. I get an error message: "No translator could be found for the given file."
  • Ray: Is the file empty? If not, what are the few first lines if you open it in a text editor (Notepad, TextEdit, etc.).
  • paregorios: Should be fixed in 2.0b6.5, now available.
  • File isn't empty. First few lines read as below. Thank you!

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
    Location: file:///C:/Users/Raymond%20Jonas/Desktop/zotero.rdf
    Line Number 4973, Column 225:
  • What's the next line in that error report?
  • edited August 20, 2009
    Submitted as Report ID: 1069254078

[JavaScript Error: "not well-formed" {file: "moz-nullprincipal:{3776b0c4-da0f-4d15-b4b9-d4a417b46ff0}" line: 4973 column: 225 source: " <bib:Book rdf:about="urn:isbn:LCCN 68-102945 SUBJECT(S) Descriptor Jews -- Ethiopia. Falasja's. Geographic Ethiopia -- Description and travel. 6.410. Note(s) Previous ed., London, Wertheim, MacIntosh & Hunt, 1862./ "A bibliographic note" p. [xxxv]-xxxvii. Class Descriptors LC DT377; Dewey 916.3 Responsibility by Henry A. Stern. Document Type Book Entry 19710629 Update 20060118">"}]
  • I have exported two group collections and trying to import them locally. It gives this error: "No translator could be found for the given file.".

I think that RDF export should work fine whether the collections are for groups or local. Am I wrong?
  • edited August 21, 2009
    I'm running the latest version of Zotero 2.0b6.5 and also got problems importing RDF, receiving "An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again."

Importing the RDF without attached files I got report number ID 1185481905, trying to import those RDF with attached files it wasn't possible to send any error-report at all.

Is threre any solution to this problem?

Thanx a lot!
  • RayJonas: That's a bug, caused by the double-quotes in the middle of that very incorrect ISBN value. We'll fix this, but you could work around it in the meantime by opening the RDF file in a text editor and removing those quotes. If the file then opens in Firefox without an XML parse error, it should import into Zotero. (Also, if that item was saved via a site translator, let us know which so we can fix it to not do that.)

bilal: Do you get an XML parse error if you drag the RDF file into Firefox (not Zotero)?

annecke12: Go to the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences, enable debug logging, attempt the import without files, submit the debug output, and post the Report ID here. Thanks.
  • Thanks Dan!

I tried to important an RDF, activating "debug logging" and sent the report to zotero. Report ID was D1882248213.
  • Thanks, Dan. Problem solved. In fact, there were four or five other entries with the same error, so it took a number of cycles of fix/save/open_in_Firefox to catch them all.

Sorry that I can't be specific about translators. Some came from ProCite by way of EndNote.
  • Dan,

I tried to import my RDF file after install Windows 7 and happened the same problem that happened with annecke12. (The same message - An error occurred while trying to import the selected file. Please ensure that the file is valid and try again - using Firefox 3.5.3 and Zotero 2.0b6.5).

Could you help me too? Following your instructions, the Report ID is D1759256442.

Thank you very much!
  • annecke12 and Hudson: Are you still receiving these errors in 2.0b7.1?