Zotero.dotm file for microsoft word plugin installation folder gets deleted soon after installation

Zotero.dotm file for microsoft word plugin installation folder gets deleted soon after installation.

I have tried following things:
1. Enabled word add ons through: Tools → Add-ons → Extensions
2. Tried to install/reinstall word plugin through: the Cite pane of Zotero preferences
(it shows an error message which states "ensure that word is closed"
3. Tried manual installation but could not proceed as Zotero.dotm file not available in installation folder which is empty
4. In word add in: developer option in word start up again does not contain Zotero,dotm file
5. Un-installation, re-downloading- re-installation did not help: "zotero" is seen on word for some time (10-15 minutes) but soon it disappears. Even if I copy and save "zotero.dotm" file in some other folder it disappears from there. Either it shows that the folder is empty or shows that 'this file is deleted or missing' so I can not do even manual installation.
6. Some times I noted that zotero.dotm file and word plugin disappears after I login in zotero
7. I also added "Zotero.dotm" file in the folders to be excluded from the Quickheal virus scan. I even tried disabling the antivirus. But the Zotero.dotm file still disappears eventually.

Please provide a solution, thank you!
  • edited March 31, 2020
    Even if I copy and save "zotero.dotm" file in some other folder it disappears from there.
    That almost certainly means your security software is deleting it. If you just copy the file elsewhere on your computer and it disappears, that obviously wouldn't have anything to do with Zotero or even Word.
  • Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have uninstalled the quick heal antivirus from my laptop. Now there is only windows security in my laptop. Yet, I can't see Zotero.dotm file in installation folder.

Can windows security be responsible for this?
    Do you have any idea how to fix it?

Interestingly, exactly same issue happened with my wife's laptop two d at days ago.
    We both also faced startup issues with our MS word since then.

Can there be any issue with Microsoft?

Thank you again.
  • Windows Security does not conflict with the Zotero extension. Have you tried reinstalling Zotero since removing the security software? Does Zotero.dotm not appear in the installation folder after reinstall?
  • Yes I tried multiple times ..... It did not!
  • Are you looking in C:\Program Files (x86)\Zotero\extensions\zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install? If it's not there then something on your PC is still removing it after installation. You could try disabling the Windows Security real-time protection, but I can't imagine that having any difference. You could try downloading the Zotero.dotm file directly from Zotero's code repository and see whether it disappears that way too.
  • I have the same issues and I also tried all listed above -- any update by now?
    Thank you.
  • What happened when downloading the Zotero.dotm file directly?