Footnote only

Hey everybody,

I am from France and have troubles finding a proper citation style for my scientific needs (I am currently writing a proposal for a marie curie fellowship).
My problem is that I want to find a Zotero style, which possess footnote in the style I want (and no bibliography).

After spending the last day looking and trying to familiarize myself with creating my own CLS file proper - in which I furiously failed - I decided to turn to this forum to get some help.

My need : A zotero style with footnote and no bibliography.
The footnote have to be like this :

Whitehead, K. A.;Langer, R.;Anderson, D. G. Nature Reviews Drug Discovery 2009, 8 (2), 129-38.

author(s), abbreviate first name. (...), journal name (italic), year (bold), volume, page number

I hope I will be clear concerning my need.
If anybody with cls-programming skills might help me, I would GREATLY appreciate!

Thanks a lot to everybody......
  • sorry, we don't do custom styles.
    You can either try yourself using
    http://editor.citationstyles.org/visualEditor/
    or you can look if you see anything that works for you in the note styles on https://zotero.org/styles (though note that they will preview the bibliography if there is one).
  • edited September 6, 2016
    I am currently trying to make this style, but have run into a few snags that I don't know how to change. Any help is welcome!

(I started by editing the chicago-note style)
    - I want separate reference-numbers if I cite more than one reference at a time. Currently this shows up as a single superscripted number with 2 or more citations in the footnote

- If the same paper has been cited previously, I want it to get the same citation number as before and not appear as a new footnote (i.e. reference back to a previous page). Currently, it creates a new citation-number and footnote.
    Update: I just found the if-first function, but then don't know what to do in my else statement to not get a CSL STYLE ERROR (and it still creates a new footnote each time)

As an example, this is what I see:
    1 Case and Waterman; 2015; Nat Cell Biol; 17: 955–63; Abercrombie; 1980; P Roy Soc Lond B Bio; 207: 129–147.
    2 Lämmermann et al.; 2008; Nature; 453: 51–55; Lämmermann et al.; 2013; Nature; 498: 371–75; Ruprecht et al.; 2015; Cell; 160: 673–85.
    3 Bergert et al.; 2015; Nat Cell Biol; 17: 524–29.
    4 [CSL STYLE ERROR: reference with no printed form.].
    5 [CSL STYLE ERROR: reference with no printed form.].
    6 Liu et al.; 2015; Cell; 160: 659–72.

and this is what I want:
    1 Case and Waterman; 2015; Nat Cell Biol; 17: 955–63.
    2 Abercrombie; 1980; P Roy Soc Lond B Bio; 207: 129–147.
    3 Lämmermann et al.; 2008; Nature; 453: 51–55.
    4 Lämmermann et al.; 2013; Nature; 498: 371–75.
    5 Ruprecht et al.; 2015; Cell; 160: 673–85.
    6 Bergert et al.; 2015; Nat Cell Biol; 17: 524–29.
    7 Liu et al.; 2015; Cell; 160: 659–72.

- final oddity, but not super relevant, is the 129-147 format in ref 2, while all other refs are in a format that would state 129-47

Thank you for your help!
  • Sorry, what you want can't be done with footnotes -- it's not just that CSL can't do this, Word can't do it. (This part, in particular:
    If the same paper has been cited previously, I want it to get the same citation number as before and not appear as a new footnote (i.e. reference back to a previous page)
    )

The best I can offer you is to use a numerica style like American Chemical Society, which will display the references correctly in the text and then display them in a bibliography with the correct numbers at the end.
    If you really do need them in the footer, you can then paste them from the bibliography to the footer on the right page.
  • edited September 6, 2016
    Two additional questions about formatting:

- How do I change the formatting of the footnotes? It is currently really odd. My document's layout is in Cambria-11. In the footnote, the superscripted footnote number in times new roman-10, while the footnote content is in the Cambria-11 as well. The exception to this is when I reference a website, in which case the content is also times new roman-10. (Note that I created an if-webpage condition to give this a different format than journal articles)

- Is it possible to get the next footnote on the same line rather than separate lines? or would that be a word setting that I can't find? (or simply not possible?)
  • (Same there -- can't be done with Word footnotes)
  • sorry, you answered that one before i could edit it.
    Anyway, another question about formatting is:

- How do I change the formatting of the footnotes? It is currently really odd. My document's layout is in Cambria-11. In the footnote, the superscripted footnote number in times new roman-10, while the footnote content is in the Cambria-11 as well. The exception to this is when I reference a website, in which case the content is also times new roman-10. (Note that I created an if-webpage condition to give this a different format than journal articles)
  • Zotero/CSL doesn't do fonts; they're getting set somewhere in Word. I'd start by checking the style (that's the Word style, nothing to do with Zotero) associated with footnotes.
  • OK, so I've created a csl that works reasonably well for Marie Curie applications. It is a somewhat specialized thing, but I do think it could be of use to others as well and may be worthwhile having in the repository.

That being said, there are a few considerations:
    - They don't stipulate very specifically what they want, except that references should be in footnotes. I have chosen a format that I think works well for this application as it is fairly brief but has all info required for an expert to know which paper it is immediately, and a non-expert to easily find the appropriate paper.
    - I have only formatted item types I needed for my own application, being journal articles, book sections, and websites.
    - The footnote format has some shortcomings, as I stipulated above (Sept 6), specifically 1) re-citing the same paper will result in a new footnote (undesirable due to space limitations). As a workaround, in each subsequent citation to the same paper, the references just states 'see ref. X'. After finalizing the document, these citations can be removed manually and replaced with the appropriate superscripted number (remember to do zotero-refreshes regularly so that citation numbers are updated). Make sure to do this at the very very end, as it will not be dynamically updated if citations are inserted/deleted from the middle.
    - Specific limitation 2) multiple citations in a single zotero field will result in a single footnote (undesirable because it is not compatible with workaround described above, and I think it is generally confusing/ugly). The workaround for this is simply to have each citation in a separate zotero field.
    - Note that the bibliography is not used at all in this case. I didn't delete it from the style as I don't think there's a reason to and it may be useful while working on the application.

While this is clearly not an ideal or proper citation style, I think nothing that works for this particular fellowship application is, and this solution is still less work than doing it fully manual.

Given all of this, would it be worthwhile to add this to the repository? If not, is there some kind of a 'work-in-progress' database or other location I can leave this style for people that may be interested?
  • Dani, did you ever upload this to the style gallery? Would be much appreciated if you could make the style you created available to all of us. Thanks for the hard work!
  • edited July 31, 2017
    I did not because it is not a proper citation style and doesn't really fit the citation style criteria. As there was no previous response by the zotero admins to this comment I decided not to put it there.
    I am more than happy to share though (either through repository or by email or something)
  • I see. Yes, would save me a lot of fiddling around with the editor! I would think that there are hundreds of Marie Curie applicants, and this style is also useful for many German contexts (MA theses). Can you upload to the repository?
  • Tagging @Dani_Bodor as he/she'll probably not see it otherwise.
  • edited July 31, 2017
    OK, I've submitted the style (as MSCA_application). I think it needs to be approved by an admin first but will hopefully end up on the repository list soon.

Also, I believe you'll be able to find the source code here: https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/pull/2854/commits/b4e0fbebf7c0996e72ea1fa51b2f09249379a81e

PS: I had seen this and have already commented above ;)
  • Thanks a million for the quick help!
  • Thanks! Right... I was just doing that. Appears that there is an error somewhere. When importing the style, Zotero says that it's not a proper CSL file. When applying the style in the Document Preferences, it gives the error message "exec not defined".

Happy to wait till fixed version appears in the repository.
  • edited July 31, 2017
    I'll make some comments on the style on GitHub and Dani can fix them. Once he's fixed that you can redownload and then it'll validate.
  • I believe that the style is now ready to be used and can be downloaded here (https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/pull/2854/files) while the zotero admins are making a decision on whether or not to include it in the actual repository.
  • Works like a charm now. Thanks again for this!
  • @Dani_Bodor thank you very much for creating the style. It is much appreciated! I was wondering if I could just ask you how to solve the issue with journal article titles? Everything works amazingly well but the journal article title does not appear. Would you be able to help with this? Thank you very much in advance.
  • What's the issue?
    The style prints out like this for me:

Campbell, John L., and Ove K. Pedersen. ‘The Varieties of Capitalism and Hybrid Success’. Comparative Political Studies 40, no. 3 (1 March 2007): 307–32. doi:10.1177/0010414006286542.
  • Hi @damnation . It does not show the title of the article for me. Is there anything else I need to do? Or maybe try to reinstall it?
  • Hi again @damnation. I am just adding info on how the style is working for me.

Chaskin & Joseph, 2011, Journal of Urban Affairs 33: 209–37.

Thank you!
  • Looks like you are you using a completely different style. Are you in Word/LibreOffice? Have you downloaded and installed the style? Does it show up in the styles list when you go to the Zotero tab in Word and under Document Preferences?
  • Hi @damnation,
    I downloaded the marie-sklodowska-curie-actions.csl file from @Dani_Bodor post on the 2nd of August 2017 and installed it. I use Word only (one of the files was rtf and the other is docx). I then made sure that I was using that style in the document preferences but as I said, the article name does not appear in the footnote. I then followed your instructions from the 31st of July 2017. I clicked on the link and got the following message “…\MSCA_application.csl is not a valid CSL 1.0.1 style file, and may not work properly with Zotero. Are you sure you want to continue?” I clicked “yes” but it does not work.
    Just so you know, this morning I found that someone else is having the same problem as I am. They wrote on https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/73275/foot-notes-for-a-marie-curie-application
    Any help would be much appreciated. I tried to follow all the instructions but I am not very familiar with github and downloading these files.
  • Don't know what style I was looking at earlier, but must've copied the wrong one.
    I have fixed those errors and it now validates and added the title.

https://gist.github.com/POBrien333/abec3d2f39d6584b23b84ef0af5d07b0/raw/c6b773642b043c1dad6cf4b9d8bcb91e04bec0cc/marie-sklodowska-curie-actions.csl

Current print out of that style:
    Campbell & Pedersen, 2007, The varieties of capitalism and hybrid success Comp Polit Stud 40: 307–32

• Hi @damnation,

It works like a dream! Thank you very much for all your help! It is much appreciated. You have no idea how many times I downloaded and tried to install the other files.

Thank you!
  • Hi all,
    New on this forum, and first thing first I want to thank you guys for providing this amazing support!

I'm writing an MSCA myself and as many other I struggle with using Word own footnotes system. Apart from the annoyance of having to enter manually the footnotes, the main issue is, as described above by Dani in his post 4 years ago, that footnotes go on different lines, and this clearly eats away the much needed space for the main text!
    I've downloaded and installed the latest version of the CSL file (into Mendeley, that is), and it works absolutely fine, apart from....dropping the footnotes on different lines!

So my question is: does this have to do with the fact I'm using Mendely and not Zotero? I haven't tried but certainly I could just switch to Zotero and export into it all my library.

Many thanks in advance!
  • No, this is a limitation of Word—it can’t show multiple footnotes on one line. You can trick Word into showing notes on one line, but that doesn’t save any vertical space. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-mso_other-mso_2007/several-footnotes-on-one-line/9b4dbf61-2347-406a-8f25-01a11cf5f8df
  • Thanks very much for replying. Yeah I see what you mean, so that workaround doesn't really do much good. I guess the only option is to manually enter all the footnotes on the citation #1 (that is the only way I found I can actually have word let me access the footnotes space).

Unless editing the actual footer area is a better option? I fear that since doing that would alter the way the RTF template (from the EU website for MSCA grant) is designed, the final conversion to PDF (and validation) prior to submitting the documents might fail.