Getting English-language download in Japan

Is there any way to get the English-language download in Japan without going to a VPN?
  • There are no different Zotero versions for different languages. The default language is determined by your system (the details there are a bit involved -- there are several locale settings in your system) and you can change the language in the general tab of your Zotero preferences.
  • * Advanced pane of the preferences
  • Thanks everybody. To clarify: Zotero itself is in English. It's the commands that are in Japanese, I read a little Japanse--but slowly--and using Japanese to command such a complex program as Zotero would bea real drag for me.. The preferences panes do not seem to address the problem, So I guess my issue is the location of the button in the operating system that provides local-language support for the commands on all downloaded software.
  • When you say "commands" -- what exactly do you mean? I'm not seeing anything that wouldn't be translated on switching language
  • 1. By "commands" I meant the drop-down menus that tell the application what to do. If you download software from a Japan address all of the menus are translated into Japanese. I could get a VPN, but do not otherwise need one. The Zotero "preferences" menu (in Japanese" has no command for going into English

Would it be possible for me to get an English language copy of Zotero from a US server? As an former GMU Adjunct?

2. I was wondering when the interface with MS Edge will be ready?
  • No, you're misunderstanding this. It has nothing to do with a Japanese IP address, and a VPN would not make any difference. Again, there's only one version of Zotero that everyone around the world downloads. The default language depends entirely on the language your computer is set to. You can choose a different language from the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences.

The Zotero Connector for Edge has been available from the Edge store for a couple months (and it was possible to install the Zotero Connector for Chrome in the new version of Edge for a while before that).
  • Thanks dstillman

My PC I am writing this on here in Japan is set to English and has a Japanese IME program loaded that enables me to toggle between English and Japanese.

The Japanese-language menus that were attached to my copy of Zotero do not come from the US or world( edition). They were attached here in Japan. As for the he Zotero preference menu: It offers to translate the whole Zotero program into something other than English so is no help to me.

I recently re-installed MS Word on my PC. It arrived with Japanese-language menus of the same type as those that are attached to my copy of Zotero. So this is something that is done in Japan (by ISPs?).

So I renew my plea. Can someone make it possible for me to download of a "clean" coy of Zotero?

Thanks for the info on Edge connectivity. I'll get right with it. I humbly suggest that the availability did bot appear on the instillation screen of my copy of Zotero downloaded several weeks ago.
  • edited August 20, 2020
    We can only say this so many times: there are no different versions of Zotero. Please stop asking for another version.
    The Japanese-language menus that were attached to my copy of Zotero do not come from the US or world( edition). They were attached here in Japan.
    I don't know what you mean by "they were attached here in Japan".
    So this is something that is done in Japan (by ISPs?).
    Nothing was "done in Japan". This is just something about the settings on your computer. This has absolutely nothing to do with ISPs.
    As for the he Zotero preference menu: It offers to translate the whole Zotero program into something other than English so is no help to me.
    The point is that it lets you choose English if it's set to something other than English. If you set it to English, everything in the program should be in English. If it's not, that's a bug.

But I'm not even entirely clear what you're referring to. Can you take some screenshots of the things you're describing, upload them somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here? We also need a Report ID.
  • Thanks. I smiled when I was accused of wanting a special edition of Zokero. The situation is the opposite. I want nothing more than the original, home-grown version that I could download in Fairfax today.

The screenshot idea is good. The Dropbox link below gives a selection of the Japanese-language screens. There are many more.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yewwe1438ce9n0f/AAD9pwd5V-jdQrcY-uSNBtPPa?dl=0

I assume my copy came from a mirror server in Japan. Perhaps a Forum Member who knows about Zokero’s mirroring arrangements could suggest how I could get a copy of the home-grown version.

I checked the download screen, and it has indeed been updated with MS Edge.
  • No one is accusing you of anything, but it is a bit odd that you seem completely disinclined to believe what dstillman has been trying to tell you many times: there are no different versions of Zotero to download anywhere and your issue has nothing to do with how and where you download Zotero.

Your screenshots are simply from a Zotero version set to Japanese/日本人 in the preferences. As we said in the beginning, you'll want to go to the advanced tab of the preferences and change the language to English as per this screenshot:
    https://imgur.com/hnmLpMy (you'll need to restart afterwards)

• Thanks. All solved. The screenshot was very helpful--although it's buried three levels down in Japanese having to do with Zotero functions. Belatedly I found that if you go to the Zotero.org web site to download Zotero. you get the home-brew version. Apparently these downloads are not mirrored oversea.
  • Oh my god. One more time: there is only one version of Zotero. It contains all languages. There are no other versions. There are no mirrors. There is nowhere else to download Zotero. Where in the world you are makes absolutely no difference.

If you keep saying this, you're going to be banned from posting here, because at this point it seems like you're purposely ignoring what we're saying.