Zotero toolbar & complete pluggin disappear of Word 2016

I've tried all methods exposed in this forum but Word Plugin stays always disable in
the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences,

the file Zotero.dotm is well in place in C:\Users\QTR7701\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP\

and neither the Zotero Toolbars appears in Word neither all my Zotero Citations in my Word document are active.

Can you help me ?
  • but Word Plugin stays always disable in
    the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences
    What do you mean by that, exactly?

What's the full Word version number?

See these steps, and if you're still having trouble say everything you've tried, in your own words, and what happened at each step.
  • 1°) What do I mean by …
    When I open in Zotero : tools\extensions\Z Add-ons Manager; Zotero Word for Windows integration is always configure as "Disable" even if I click on Enable and Restart Zotero, when I launch Word, the Add-on pane of Zotero doesn't appear on Word Ribbon although it was before .
    2°) Full Word Version Number is 2016(16.0.5017.1000) MSO (16.0.05017.1000) 32 bits. But it works well before with Zotero pane in this version of Word.
    3°) The steps : I made I to III with success in the execution but not success on the Word Ribbon. For IV I stopped because I'm afraid to loose all my library. I'm writing a thesis and now I lost all my references in Word, I loose my library it'll be sad. I've an export but I'm always very careful with reinstall, it's not a wizard !
  • When I open in Zotero : tools\extensions\Z Add-ons Manager; Zotero Word for Windows integration is always configure as "Disable"
    OK — you said this was in the Zotero preferences before, which isn't the same thing.

If the extension is disabled in Tools → Add-ons, nothing else will work, so none of the rest matters. Can you provide a Report ID?
  • Also, while there's absolutely no danger you'll lose your library from this, you should always have a backup — not an export — of your Zotero data directory. The best way to do that is simply to have a full, regular, automated backup of your entire computer.
  • Is it not bether to first test this way :
    The solution is to remove the -no-remote command-line option from the shortcut used to launch the Zotero profile (this flag should never be used with Zotero) like mentioned in https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting

but for this I can't find where should I remote the "-no-remote" in the shortcut of Zotero
  • I'm doing a backup of Zotero data directory. Is it well the one with the following :
    locate (dir)
    storage (dir)
    styles (dir)
    tmp (dir)
    translators (dir)
    zotero.sqlite (file)
    zoterosqlite.1bak (file)
    zoterosqlite.bak (file)
    zoterosqlite-journal (file) ?
  • The no-remote thing isn’t relevant here. That’s something you’d have had to set yourself previously.

Yes, that’s your data directory.
  • I only reply now at the question with the error report here is the code : 1185167441

for reinstall I'll try this Week-end
  • I've Reinstall Zotero and have effectively no problem wit my libraries.
    But unfortunately the pane in Word, after reinstallation of the plugin still not appears. I think I've more a problem with Word than Zotero. Have you an idea to fix the problem ?
  • Does the plugin still show as disabled in Tools → Add-ons in Zotero?
  • No, it shows as Enable, first after reinstall it was showing as not installed and I Installed it with the function in Zotero, then I restart Zotero, open word and see that the pane doesn't appear so I return to Zotero and see it's Enable
  • Can you take a screenshot of what you’re seeing, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here? It’s still not clear exactly what you mean or even which window you’re referring to.
  • OK, that's all normal, so the rest of Step 2 in the troubleshooting steps isn't relevant. You would only need to continue with that if the plugin were missing/disabled in Tools → Add-ons (it's not) or the install button didn't appear in the Cite preferences (it does).

You should continue with Step 3, which links to the manual installation instructions.
  • I've already done that, and Zotero.dotm is well in my directory : C:\Users\QTR7701\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
  • Have you checked File Locations in Word to confirm that another directory isn't set as the active Startup directory?

Have you followed the additional steps linked from the first troubleshooting section?

Is this a work computer? If you've tried everything else, your IT department may simply have placed restrictions on whether templates with macros can be loaded, and you'd have to talk to them.
  • That's it, I've fix the bugg.
    I've follow your procedure "additional steps" and with the developer Ribbon activate, I 've seen in in the ribbon click “Word Add-ins”,
    that Zotero.dotm was present BUT unfortunately it was ticked !
    so I restart Zotero and Word, and then I've the following error message :

The last time you opened the "Zotero. dotm" document, it caused a serious error. Do you still want to open it?

So I download a new version from your Website of Zotero.dotm and I replace in the directory : C:\Users\QTR7701\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP by the new one downloaded and I restart both Zotero and Word.

And it works !
    thanks very much for your patience and for advices.
  • Corrections :
    some mistakes corrected now in MAJOR CASE

That's it, I've fixED the bugg.
    I've followED your procedure "additional steps" and with the developer Ribbon activate, I 've seen in in the ribbon click “Word Add-ins”,
    that Zotero.dotm was present BUT unfortunately it was UNticked !