Error messages

Hi,

A couple of things.
1. I received an error message when trying to refresh my zotero. It told me to give this error report on a discussion board. Report ID: 385520131.

2. I can't seem to sync my online library to the research assistant that is downloaded on my mac. Also for some reason now, the extension in my chrome browser won't save to zotero directly, just the online library. Every time I click the extension, it has me refresh my page multiple times until it finally saves to my online library.

3. For some reason, I can't search for articles in the zotero assistant that is downloaded on my computer. If I search for any title nothing pops up.

Thanks
  • 1. I received an error message when trying to refresh my zotero.
    What do you mean by "refresh my zotero"? What was the error message?
    2. I can't seem to sync my online library to the research assistant that is downloaded on my mac.
    You can just call that "Zotero" — the program that you run on your computer. The "Zotero Connector" is the browser extension in Chrome.
    [JavaScript Error: "Group with libraryID 1 does not exist" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/groups.js" line: 108}]
    Can you provide a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for a sync attempt that produces this?
    Also for some reason now, the extension in my chrome browser won't save to zotero directly, just the online library. Every time I click the extension, it has me refresh my page multiple times until it finally saves to my online library.
    What do you mean by "has me refresh my page multiple times"? In what way is it having you do that?
    3. For some reason, I can't search for articles in the zotero assistant that is downloaded on my computer. If I search for any title nothing pops up.
    What exactly are you doing? The search bar is just a filter — it filters the items list that's visible in the middle pane. If you're not syncing successfully and don't see your items locally in Zotero, the search bar won't do anything.
  • Hi,

I have been trying to e-mail you because I have screenshots of what I am talking about, but the e-mail won't go through. Can you e-mail me again about this issue so I can try to reply.

Thanks
    Tyra
  • I'm not sure how you've been trying to email us, but you can provide screenshots by uploading them somewhere (e.g., Dropbox) and providing a link here.
  • I am still getting the mail delivery errors so I am just going to describe the screenshots I took.

1. By refresh, I mean the green arrow button that loops around in a circle in the top right-hand corner of zotero. When I pressed that button the zotero the error message occurred. That's the report ID number I gave you.

2. I don’t know what a debugID is. Where could I find this information?

3. When I press on the zotero connector in chrome this pops up occurs that says "reload this page to use this extension" with a blue reload button. I’ll reload the page, and try again and the same message will occur. After reloading 3 times, it will just save to the online library. I know this because it will say "saving to zotero.org"

4. I can’t seem to sync my online library with zotero.

5. In other research applications such as endnote, you can search online databases for research articles or books. Is that not a function with zotero?

Thanks
    Tyra
  • edited May 29, 2020
    Again, you can upload screenshots to Dropbox or similar and provide links here. We haven't said anything about email, so I don't know where you're trying to send messages.
    By refresh, I mean the green arrow button that loops around in a circle in the top right-hand corner of zotero.
    That's "syncing", not refreshing.
    When I pressed that button the zotero the error message occurred. That's the report ID number I gave you.
    No, a Report ID is the number you get after clicking Report Errors and going through the error-reporting process. You have to tell us what message you're actually seeing on screen when you first click the error icon — that's the problem you're actually experiencing that you need to describe.
    I don’t know what a debugID is. Where could I find this information?
    The text "Debug ID" in my message above is a link to instructions. That's what we need to debug the syncing issue.
    When I press on the zotero connector in chrome this pops up occurs that says "reload this page to use this extension" with a blue reload button.
    Does this still happen after restarting Chrome? If so, what version of Chrome are you using? Does this happen on any webpage (e.g., this forum page)? Can you provide a Report ID from the Zotero Connector?
    In other research applications such as endnote, you can search online databases for research articles or books. Is that not a function with zotero?
    No. Zotero is based around web-based research. You just do the searches in your web browser and click the save button to save them to Zotero.

There's an Add Item by Identifier button in Zotero that you can use to directly save items with identifiers such as DOIs and ISBNs.
  • I did the Debug output for syncing, and I recieved this Debug ID: D52509403.

The chrome issue happens on any page including this one, and even if I quit chrome and re-open it, it occurs. I have this version of chrome : Version 83.0.4103.61. When I tried to do the Report ID in Zotero Connector, it stated that HTTP request of https://www.zotero.org/repo/report reject with the status of 0

I am using the 5.0.87 version of Zotero and the 5.0.67 version of the zotero connector.
  • That sync appears to have completed without error. The Debug ID would have to show a sync where an error occurred.

Something's certainly wrong with your Chrome installation if you can't even submit a Report ID. Disable any other Chrome extensions you have installed and try again.
  • I used the connector to save this page to zotero.org and redid the bug id with trying to sync again. This was the new debug id D1486647201

It still wont let me submit a report ID. I don't know if this information is helpful, but in the box above submit a report ID there are a ton of javascript errors stating that "can't access contents of url", and after the url it says "extension manifest must request permission to access this host."

In the general tab of the connector it says that my zotero status is unavailbe, however when I go to the troubleshooting page (https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/connector_zotero_unavailable) and press the provided link http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping. It says my connection is available.

• edited May 29, 2020
    I do have adblocker on my chrome. However when I turned off all my extensions, it still wont let me update the zotero connector status wont change
  • edited May 29, 2020
    I used the connector to save this page to zotero.org and redid the bug id with trying to sync again. This was the new debug id D1486647201
    Again, there's no error in there. If you're still experiencing some syncing problem, you'd have to say what it is. Your syncs are completing successfully.
    I do have adblocker on
    You need to disable all Chrome extensions as a troubleshooting step.
  • I edited the comment, read above.

And yes the issue still remains that my online library isn't syncing to Zotero
  • And yes the issue still remains that my online library isn't syncing to Zotero
    What makes you say that, exactly? What's the actual problem?
    However when I turned off all my extensions, it still wont let me update the zotero connector status wont change
    Uninstall the Zotero Connector, restart your computer, start up Chrome with no other extensions, and reinstall the Zotero Connector. What happens then?
  • Because as mentioned before I have citations that are saved to zotero.org, and when I sync zotero the saved links to the online library dont sync to zotero. I dont understand what you're not understanding. I want the citations that are linked to my online library to sync to zotero, and they arent.
  • I finally got a report ID number from the zotero connector after uninstalling and reinstalling. The report ID is 160935135
  • I dont understand what you're not understanding.
    Your Debug ID shows a successful sync, so it's helpful to be explicit about what you're seeing — e.g., it's possible you're just looking in the wrong place. The most recent items in your online library are from May 5th, and that's what you should see locally. See Changes Not Syncing.