PDF not recognized

This discussion was created from comments split from: 5.0.86-beta.10 cannot retrieve matadata for pdf file.
  • How to get a Debug ID? When I drag a PDF file to a Zotero folder, it would just put the PDF file in that folder without metadata retrieval. No error occurred either. Something must have failed before that. I have no way to tell you. My Search tab of Preference says nothing about pdftotext. Does that mean I need to install some plugins? Please help.
  • https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output

But read through the documentation. Most likely you're just adding a non-academic PDF that you shouldn't expect to be recognized.

You don't need to install anything for PDF recognition to work.
  • I am adding academic papers. I got huge amount of message in Debug Output. At the end, I got "Error connecting to server. Check your Internet connection." Sure I have Internet connection. I receive emails. I can do this. I can zoom.
  • OK, if you can't submit the Debug ID, that just means network connections within Zotero aren't working for you at all, which will break all sorts of things. You should be receiving an error about that at startup. See Connection Error.
  • It seems that I do have network connection issues. At the start up of Zotero, I got a few connection errors. Then periodically, I have "The connection was refused when attempting to contact wss://stream.zotero.org/." But I don't understand the Connection Error page anymore. Config Editor from Advanced tab of Zotero Preferences gives me long list of Preference Name after a warning. Even I search for Firefox, I still have many choices. "Apply same settings that you would in Firefox." How? Clicking on any line would just highlight that line. There is no apply button or something. Restart Zotero ends up the same problem.
  • "same settings that you would in Firefox" is a link to a Firefox support page with information on the settings you might need to adjust. The point is just that Zotero is based on Firefox, so the same settings would apply, depending on your computer's proxy setup.