5.0.86-beta.10 cannot retrieve matadata for pdf file

I recently updated my zotero to 5.0.86-beta, then I noticed that several downloaded pdf files cannot retrieve matadata. Those are articles that I downloaded from different databases. Anyone came cross this problem?
  • It's unlikely that has anything to do with a version update.

If you're on a supported database, you should save from the article page rather than saving the PDF directly. But if it's an academic PDF, Zotero should still be able to recognize it.

Can you provide a Debug ID from Zotero for an attempt that fails? If possible, a link to a PDF (or database page where you accessed the PDF) would also be helpful.
  • edited April 16, 2020
    They are all academic papers downloaded, mostly from ProQuest, and some other databases as well. I usually download the pdf, read and make remarks, and then import them to zotero library. The problem now is that the progress bar at the window of metadata retrieval doesn't even move. It only shows 'processing', but zero progress and just get stuck there.

The Debug ID is D1925981245, hope the problem has been indicated in the report...
  • That appears to just show a sync happening.

If it's stuck, restart Zotero and try again. We'd need to see a Debug ID for a new attempt at retrieving a PDF after restarting Zotero.
    I usually download the pdf, read and make remarks, and then import them to zotero library.
    That's OK, but it's not really the standard workflow, and it has the potential to make PDF recognition work less well. See Adding Items to Zotero. Normally, you would save from the ProQuest (or whatever) page into Zotero, which will save both metadata and PDF without having Zotero need to identify the PDF. You can then open the PDF from Zotero and read and annotate.

(Again, though, PDF recognition should certainly still work.)
  • Many thanks! I restarted several times, and now it works.