Adding item type

I need yto be able to add for item type: Catalogue; Instructions, booklet, etc. Why not allow the user to have a window at the bottom of items types allowing them to add item types that are not already presupplied?
  • You can add any non-default information in the Extra field, in the format: Category: Value
    (However, not all styles will be prepared to include all information for all item types.)
  • An exhibition/catalogue type is planned.
  • So where is this field located and how to get to it? Also can one sort or select on this field: Category: Value?
  • And Thanks for responding.
  • I have documents that are type, Sales Brochure, Sales Catalogue, Map, Notebook, Recording, etc.
  • Map, Audio Recording, and Video Recording all already exist as item types.

Beyond that, let's take a step back. What are Sales Brochure, Sales Catalogue, Notebook? What exactly are those? How are you expecting those to be cited?
  • I see what you mean. Before I request a new Item Type, I need to identify the related attribute fields, and which if any are subject to varying values, and the sorts of values. This'll take some time. So if I'm not going to respond quickly, should I start a new thread, or pick this one up when I am ready?
  • It’s not so complicated I don’t think. What do you mean by Sales Brochure? What field are you in?

Please keep posting here in this thread.
  • @bwiernik We are a group of art historians working on an extensive bibliography which we want to be live on Zotero in the end. Are you any closer to adding the exhibition/catalogue type?
  • An event type is included in CSL 1.0.2 which has been released. Styles have not yet started to be updated yet, and the validator has not yet been

A curator variable has also been added.

To indicate an exhibition catalog, make a Book item and then add a curator and/or event variable.
  • How can we propose additional object item types for consideration? Research protocol and data set are two that would be useful to have as default options.
  • Dataset is already in CSL and can be added in Zotero as described here:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/translators/datasets (and will turn into a regular Zotero item once that exists).

For research protocol -- can you give an example? I think there's a whole range of items: study protocols, registered reports, (pre-)registrations that might be nice to get into a single item type. @bwiernik -- did we ever look at that for CSL?
  • We haven't really considered such things yet. I can see the potential value of protocols/registrations/etc. as a discrete type, but they could probably also be cited well-enough as Report. Or maybe even Article (used for preprints/working papers).

I see it kind of similarly to how we use Report also for things like manuals. That said, we did also great a Project type for grants and the like because of their distinct citation needs compared to other types of reports.

What do you think @adamsmith?

For now, @claireystew, I suggest Report for protocols.
  • I think that the following item types would be of value:
    - tutorial
    - lecture notes
  • I would use Presentation for both of those
  • For me, "Presentation" is not appropriate.
    If these could be added, or if there could be a custom option to add "item types" that would be great.
  • +1 @roiholtzman

- tutorial
    - lecture notes

would be useful additions to item types.