[SOLVED] Why does Zotero keep italicizing in-text APA-style references?

edited April 18, 2020
For some bizarre reason, while when I started to write my Word document, the Zotero plugin didn't italicize in-text references, for the past half an hour it has been. By italicizing in-text references, I don't mean it's adding the title of the work in italics, which is what it is meant to do as the referencing style is APA, it's italicizing the whole in-text reference (including the authors' names, et al., commas, the date and the brackets that enclose the reference). Is there any way to stop this from happening? As it's getting irritating.
  • Was the text (or the default style for your document) originally in italics? The way Zotero integrates into Word fields doesn't always accept changes made to existing paragraphs, but may "remember" an older setting. (More info: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/77526/preserving-word-formatting-italics-bold-in-zotero-cite-fields)

Does this happen in a new document? Does it happen throughout your whole document, or just one section or one citation?

Most likely the easiest solution instead of troubleshooting this complicated detail, would just be to replace the problematic text. That might require starting a whole new document, or just replacing a handful of problematic fields with new Zotero cites. (Be careful when copying/pasting text, perhaps use only "paste as unformatted text", so that you don't carry over any of the weird formatting with it.) You might also try another trick like changing the citation style and refreshing, then switching back to APA, to see if that cleans it up. Regardless, before you do anything, save a copy of your document first so you don't lose anything.
  • No, the default style of the document isn't in italics. In a blank new document, in-text refs aren't automatically italicized. The only italics-related thing I did that preceded this abnormal behaviour was I changed the formatting of captions from being in italics to being in bold font.

Well, I'll be. Changing citation style and then changing it back seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks!