Meta data of bibliographic reference

For a given bibliographic reference, can I get the meta data, i.e., title, author, abstract, year of publication, conference/journal of publication?
  • I’m not sure what you mean. Can you describe in more detail what you are trying to do?
  • For example, I have this reference

Wentao, Z., et al. (2014). Vehicle detection in driving simulation using extreme learning machine. Neurocomputing, 128, 160–165.

After extraction the result should be:

Author: Wentao, Z., et al.
    Year:2014
    Title:Vehicle detection in driving simulation using extreme learning machine

• Thank you !
    It works well for 1 reference.
    I have a couple of references. Is there any way that I put all my references in a sheet and get the corresponding record?
  • anystyle accepts lists of references.
  • edited March 23, 2020
    Best, thank you!
    1 more follow up question.
    It can extract all the meta data given in the reference.
    Is it linked with google scholar in the backend? I need to get the abstract of the corresponding reference ( research article ) too.
  • No, sorry, no easy way to automatically get the abstracts. You can look at the "locate" function in Zotero to quickly go to an item's landing page from which you can copy the abstract: https://www.zotero.org/support/locate
  • edited March 23, 2020
    How can we track that which output is corresponding to which input? Because when I open the xml file. It only shows the parsed values
  • edited March 28, 2020
    @adamsmith The anystyle.io is working well. Thank you for guidance.
  • It says that it can take 1000 citations as input but when I input more than 400 it is unable to process that.
    I have a 9 lack datarecords. If I input with this pace that will consume a lot of time. Is there any way that I input the complete data and get the desired result?
  • You can install and run anystyle.io locally as a ruby gem, which would allow you to script input -- if that's not an option (e.g. because it's too technical) then no, I don't think there's a faster solution.
  • @adamsmith I have installed ruby gem using command line and trying to read 10 lac records, 1000 records per loop. After 2 iterations, it fails to give me the result. Can you help me figure out the issue?
  • No, sorry, this isn't my code. Create an issue on github for the developer.
  • @adamsmith thanks for all the guidance.
    I made that work locally. Also, earlier, in this thread you mentioned that i can locate mu desired page in the zotero's library usinh it's locate function. I clicked on the link you sent earlier but i'm unable to understand it correctly.
    I'm perceiving that there is a search bar and i enter my input and get the desired page like google scholar/google. Is that how it works?
  • Not quite -- there's a button and it takes you to the google scholar/Worldcat/your library's page for the item you currently have selected.
  • edited April 8, 2020
    Thank you @adamsmith .So I entered my query in the search box and it took me to the https://duckduckgo.com/? page. I clicked the 1st link and went to the desired page. Added that to my zotero library through web pluggin (that I installed) and then i saw that it successfully extracted the abstract and other stuff.
    This is a cumbersome task to get result for every data input.
    Is there any way I can give all the data input, it iterates 1 by 1 and return me the extracted content/save this automatically.
  • No, not currently.
  • edited April 8, 2020
    Cumbersome?
    When I first prepared an academic paper (late 1960s) I had to go to a library and use _printed_ index books to find journal articles. There were annual compilations but these were published many months after the turn of the year. For more recent articles you needed to consult the monthly or quarterly updates. This required the use of several index books for a simple search. There was no opportunity to combine search terms!! It was necessary to take handwritten notes of possibly relevant article metadata using note cards. Using the note card I then needed to find out if my university library has the journal in its collection; go to the stacks to see if the volume containing article was available (for recently published articles, the issues may have been sent to the bindery); and read the article and take handwritten notes -- taking care to accurately copy anything that would become a quote. It required 6 to 8 minutes to find the actual printed article suggested by the index before determining if each single article was relevant. (The indices were typically housed in a reference section and on a different floor from the bound journals.) If relevant, in addition to the time needed to read it several minutes were required to carefully take notes. In a large city with more than one university it was almost certain that this process required going to a second or third library because the libraries tended to agree to complement collections by not duplicating subscriptions to esoteric or second-tier journals. When not in a city with multiple university libraries it was necessary to request a copy of the article from another out-of-town library. This led to a 10 day delay and had a cost of US$1.00 per page. (Remember, at this point you haven't seen the abstract so the relevance of the article is yet unknown.) This was repeated for every article identified from the index. If that seems cumbersome please understand that my narrative is of a situation where every step worked smoothly and as designed but, in reality, glitches were common. Senior faculty may have been allowed to temporarily use the normally non-circulating journal volume off-site. A competing student may have misshelved the volume with a different journal that was bound with a similar buckram color. Etc.

There was a whole different process for identifying relevant technical reports or books.

At that time papers were typed on a typewriter -- often based on a footnote style (Chicago). Revisions required retyping the text from the point of the change to the end.

I'm not arguing against suggesting improvements to Zotero software and connectors. The quality of Zotero's ability to import metadata is quite dependent upon the quality of the metadata provided by the source database or the journal publisher.
  • but to be clear, updating metadata is certainly something that's technically possible and on Zotero's list of planned features, so this isn't an unusual or unreasonable request; it's just not currently possible.